The Staff Accountant will provide accounting support in many aspects of the business and gain valuable experience and knowledge of the inner workings of the sports and motorsports industries, while working in a high energy and fast-paced environment at Michigan International Speedway. The Staff Accountant is primarily responsible for supporting the Director of Accounting in carrying out the responsibilities of the Accounting Department for event(s) and day-to-day operations.
Company Conformance Statements
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties, all employees are expected to conform to the following:
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Interact professionally with other employees, customers, and vendors.
- Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
Note: Some Weekend and Evening Hours required
- Reviews month-end close calendar and ensures that deliverables are prepared and ready for Director of Accounting review and signoff ahead of each due date. Ensures that financial records are accurate and documented in accordance with the policies of Michigan International Speedway and International Speedway Corporation.
- Perform and prepare reconciliations of balance sheet accounts monthly. Ensures that all reconciliations are ready for final review by the Director of Accounting prior to GL Close Day.
- Prepare and post journal entries (both general ledger and forecast entries) for Director of Accounting review including preparation and assembly of all supporting journal detail and confirmation of correct posting of journal entries.
- Participate in event accounting work. Aid in event treasury management (cash room), payroll, and reporting responsibilities including leading the event audit workpaper preparation including documentation of observations and results from signage, display, suite, hospitality, and program advertising audits.
- Participate in monthly spending reviews with department heads
- Assist with preparation of Quarter/Year End reporting requirements
- Assist with audit requests (internal and external auditors)
- Assist the Director of Accounting with budget and forecast preparation including conducting account analysis, inputting data into budget worksheets and uploading budget documents to PeopleSoft.
- Ensure that revenue is properly recognized based on reviews of contracts and orders
- Preparation and filing of monthly sales and use tax return including preparation of all supporting workpapers for review by the Director of Accounting.
- Respond to inquiries related to A/P (outstanding invoices) and A/R (past due notifications)
- Perform the initial work to process A/P invoices for certain departments (coding, descriptions, routing for approval, setting up new vendors)
- Coordinate weekly overnight package to Daytona (new hire paperwork)
- Assist with the New Hire Process (Including, but not limited to, reviewing new hire paperwork for completeness)
- Assume administrative responsibilities (maintenance; scheduling; review and approval of time records) within the time reporting system (ABI)
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
- Two - Four years of accounting experience required
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer skills including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office Suite required
- Advanced Excel skills (data extraction/manipulation; vlookups; pivot tables; etc.) preferred
- Experience with PeopleSoft or other accounting software preferred
- Attention to detail; Must be able to deliver accurate work in a timely manner
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, high-energy environment
- Organized with the ability to prioritize one’s own work load; Able to work independently as required
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.