In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen.
The Riley Sports Legends Experience (RSLE) Operations Supervisor for The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis, Inc., mentors and supervises seasonal RSLE staff and volunteers. Supervisor is responsible for welcoming and serving the museum’s visitors in RSLE. Supervisor oversees daily RSLE operations to ensure processes and practices are adhered to for a safe, interactive, and high-quality visitor experience. The incumbent is a member of the management team responsible for operations of the indoor and outdoor RSLE including the maintenance, safety and scheduling of high-quality interpretive experiences.
The Children’s Museum is fiercely devoted to our Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion (DEAI) efforts. Together we are building and sustaining an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates differences.
- Serves in a supervisory capacity leading staff, volunteers, and interns in customer service, operations and programming in RSLE. Actively engages in the study and delivery of interpretation while employing appropriate techniques for fostering family learning. Ensures the efficient and effective daily operations of designated spaces in collaboration with the RSLE leadership team.
- Provides active supervision of RSLE daily operations including space and equipment set-up and closing procedures, equipment maintenance and operations, visitor engagement, programs, and safety enforcement. Oversees logistics and queuing during these times. Ensures the implementation of operation plans that positively affects the visitor experience at customer touch points.
- Conducts maintenance inspections to note condition of exhibit components. Replaces or relays the need for repair to appropriate personnel and follow up as required.
- Compiles monthly and yearly equipment status reports and shares in a timely manner.
- Monitors labor needs, allocations and timecards of direct reports to ensure staffing expenses remain on or under budget.
- Leads the planning and implementation of operations for peak attendance and large after-hours events.
- Creates and oversees implementation of unique, engaging visitor challenges in all experiences for daily contests. Coordinates timing, execution, announcements and prizes in concert with colleagues.
- Actively models appropriate service and engagement techniques and activities to ensure optimal visitor experience. Sets an example and models appropriate skills and behaviors.
- In concert with RSLE management colleagues, actively participates in the performance management process for RSLE. Ensures that expectations and performance metrics for RSLE posts are adhered to consistently. Reviews staff and volunteers against measurable benchmarks and holds them accountable for key performance indicators; provides encouragement and support.
- Provides on-going evaluation and ample one-on-one meeting time with direct reports.
- Monitors labor needs, allocations and timecards of direct reports.
- In concert with RSLE and Interpretation management, assesses staffing needs, participates in selection, hiring, training, scheduling, and supervision of staff and volunteers. Provides on-going evaluation and ample one-on-one meeting time. Works with other interpretation coordinators to rotate staff effectively through museum areas/cross train staff and develop a strong pool of interpretive experts.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, museum studies, hospitality, sports management, or related field preferred but not required.
- Five (5) years customer service or hospitality experience. Two (2) years proven experience supervising a large, diverse staff in a customer service, logistics, museum, hospitality or sports management industry.
- Experience in operations and maintenance management preferred.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to provide to plan and oversee staffing plans in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
- Knowledge of staffing trends and best practices.
- Requires the ability to manage people and projects in a creative and fast-paced professional environment that highly values diversity. An energetic, forward-thinking, and creative individual with high ethical standards.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in order to interact with people from a wide diversity of backgrounds and abilities.
- Commitment to providing exceptional customer service. Must consider the visitor the top priority and demonstrate good judgment in handling customer recovery situations.
- A detail-oriented, self-motivator who can work with minimal oversight and achieve team goals on a consistent basis.
- Must be CPR/AED certified or have the ability to be certified in 6 months.
- Must be available to work an extremely flexible schedule to include weekends, holidays and evening shifts.
- Must be able to observe others within the vast physical spaces and outdoor experiences as well as view activities, exhibit components, computers.
- Must be able to handle communications by telephone contact, in-person, one-on-one conversations and public presentations.
- Must have dexterity for keyboarding, manipulating activities, demonstrations, cleaning, maintenance, and handling of collections materials.
- Must be able to stand, walk and sit for extended periods; bend, kneel, climb and reach. Requires ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Must be able to work outdoors in inclement weather and extreme temperatures. Must have a valid Indiana Driver’s License.