As part of the 1/ST portfolio of premier Thoroughbred racing venues, Golden Gate Fields is an iconic horse racing, gaming, hospitality and entertainment destination in Berkeley, CA. Golden Gate Fields is in the process of a transformative change in a mission to offer a more fully immersive, engaging and exciting customer experience and we are seeking a forward-thinking Marketing Director to spearhead this vision.
In close partnership with our parent company, 1/ST, we are broadening our overall marketing impact within the San Francisco/Bay area marketplace in a unique, differentiating way. 1/ST’s core business model is centered on the Thoroughbred horse racing industry, and 1/ST proudly boasts an industry leading 40% of the US thoroughbred horse racing industry market share.
1/ST's mission is to modernize the sport of Thoroughbred horse racing. 1/ST recently introduced our wagering platform, 1/ST BET, available on iOS and Android as a tool to help attract new customers to understand how to wager and view our racing content.
With great momentum in the marketplace – we now need a sports/venue marketing professional to take Golden Gate Fields and its brand to the next level and secure our leadership position within sports, gaming and entertainment within San Francisco while keeping a laser focus on harnessing our customer data to drive venue visitation, wagering, and event participation.
We are seeking an experienced marketing professional that understands how to connect with customers via website, social media, email database platforms, events, promotions and paid media. We are looking for a leader that is excited about bringing their expertise to a sport with immense ambitions for growth.
Core Job Functions:
- Develops and manages the strategic marketing plan and the accompanying annual marketing budget; directs the execution and development of the overall marketing plan, which is to be inclusive of media buying, key events, product and property promotions, digital media services, external resource management, etc.
- Acts as an advisor to the venue leadership team on marketing related opportunities and concerns; creates and regularly presents business plans for local and corporate senior leadership; participates in, and takes an active role in leadership team initiatives
- Works as an innovator and change agent. Must be willing to challenge the existing departmental and organizational processes and culture to improve and streamline department operations
- Provides a continuous assessment of internal work processes, market research and program effectiveness
- Positions oneself as a role model and coach developing employees with a hands-on approach; sets goals for team members and clearly articulates expectations; ensures that team members clearly understand and are held accountable for their work performance
Paid Media / Advertising
- Manages relationships with appropriate external resources and agency partners to effectively execute media, advertising and marketing-related strategies
- Maintains accountability for all sales and marketing related objectives; manages the internal marketing team and all associated external relationships
- Responsible for providing the overall strategic and creative direction for the overall brand and all applicable products and services
- Will be an advocate for the brand standards and work with the design team to adhere to our guidelines
Hospitality & Guest Experience
- Will seek to create an execute programs that drive guests to the track
- Works closely with the operations team to ensure that we consistently enhance the guest experience on site
- Develops plans to bring guests to the venue to increase foot traffic, educate guests on wagering, and creates strategies to increase betting handle (amount wagered on site).
- Liaise with important vendors for creative output, media plans, printing and events
- Drives overall event management and activation projects
- Oversees the execution of all marketing activities with the support of the on-site marketing team; participates in major events or catering functions occurring on the property as needed
- Fosters a passion amongst the marketing team; influences the team to provide marketing related solutions to support the overall customer service programming of Laurel
- Be conscientious and eager to work in an environment where you will be empowered and encouraged to ‘test and create’
- Maintains a dynamic customer database and can utilize that information to continuously build upon our brand
- Spearhead and manage the digital transformation and be an experienced evangelist of data-driven marketing
- Develops marketing language with our racing office to create materials that can communicate with our guests via email lists, social media, and website updates
- Oversees all current and future websites; implements and manages a robust social media marketing initiative along with agency partners, the Sr. Graphic Designer and marketing team
- Works closely with the 1/ST BET team to include 1/ST BET promotions across our channels to consistently acquire new customers
Venue & Partnership Champion
- Serves as conduit and a business liaison/representative between the property and the local community including tourism boards, local hotel, resort and lifestyle organizations, meeting planners/organizers, etc.
- Strong advocate for the venue and the events and willingness to seek out partnerships to help drive sponsorship and marketing efforts
Core Job Requirements:
- Requires 7+ years of senior or director level marketing experience
- Requires a strong business acumen; polished presentation and communication skills are a must
- Experience working across key marketing channels including website updates, newsletters, social media, CRM, ticketing, and paid media channels to review customer acquisition and retention metrics
- Willingness to learn new platforms
- Experience leading sports, entertainment, or hospitality marketing teams within large scale destinations
- Must have a demonstrated ability to lead and influence people
- Must have excellent analytical, planning and time management skills with an ability to organize and manage multiple ongoing projects simultaneously
- Experience in strategic planning, business and brand development; an in-depth knowledge of advertising and strategic marketing is critical
- Must be digitally savvy and fully capable of driving a following & gaining avid awareness in social media
- Ability to uphold and demonstrate the highest level of integrity, poise, tact and diplomacy in all situations
- This is a hands-on leadership role within a rapidly growing company; all incumbents must be administratively self-sufficient and have knowledge of, and experience using all MS Office® products – particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience working in a similar capacity within the Bay area market; experience marketing to different segments and audiences
Compensation / Benefits:
Golden Gate Fields offers salary based on experience for this hands-on Director level role.
Benefits including healthcare, PTO, and others are also offered.
Sports Venue Hours:
An active presence on weekends during racing is required for this position. This is a sports venue with live racing, dining, and events happening on the weekends.
Wednesday through Sunday – 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
Some weekends may require more hours, depending on events
Off-Meet Schedule (no live racing):
Monday through Friday – 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
Travel may be asked on rare occasions