Manager of Accounting - Tampa Bay Lightning (Tampa · FL)
The Manager of Accounting is primarily responsible for leading and motivating accounting staff members and increase department accuracy and efficiency. The Accounting Manager will delegate, supervise, and participate in accounting department tasks, oversee the recording, tracking, and reporting of financial information, hire, train, and motivate accounting staff members, develop, and implement department controls and procedures, and ensure that the department operates efficiently without sacrificing accuracy.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Prepare and analyze monthly journal entries related to the Lightning Foundation and related entities.
• Prepare monthly financial statements and management reports for the Lightning Foundation and related entities.
• Lead annual financial statement audit and year-end tax filings for the Lightning Foundation and related entities.
• Review and analyze monthly financial statements and reimbursement process related to VSG’s operation of the Yuengling Center (SunDome, Inc.).
• Responsible for all aspects of accounting, reconciliation and reporting for VSG’s revenue streams and related deferred revenue accounts, including but not limited to Lightning ticketing, sponsorship, and suite revenue.
• Manage monthly Cash reconciliations for all VSG entities.
• Assist with month-end close reconciliation process for VSG entities, including reviewing and approving staff journal entries.
• Review account reconciliations and research reconciling items timely.
• Assist with event settlements for ticketed events at Amalie Arena and Yuengling Center, as needed.
• Support the Director of Accounting with the annual financial statement audit and year-end tax filings of VSG entities, including preparation and review of related Audit workpapers and external Firm Requests.
• Identifies and implements opportunities for process improvements.
• Perform special projects, as needed.
Supervisory & Management Responsibilities
• Lead team of approximately 3 full-time staff accountants.
• Responsible for ongoing coaching and career development of staff inclusive of Quarterly Snapshot reviews.
• Develop and manage employee performance standards through effective training programs, coaching performance and disciplining employees as appropriate.
• Game/Event Night responsibilities: Limited
• Approximate number of events worked per year: TBD, but not expected to be more than 10 events/concerts (non-hockey)
• CPA License required.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field.
• Related experience in the Sports & Entertainment industry preferred.
• Experience with an enterprise accounting system, such as Sage Intacct, preferred.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to articulate clearly to internal departments.
• Great attention to detail and proven ability to analyze large amounts of data.
• Excellent leadership abilities.
• Ability to work efficiently and effectively in office environment that can be exciting and distracting.
• Must be able to work in an ambiguous environment and handle multiple tasks with ability to reprioritize and shift priorities quickly.
• Strong Excel, data analysis, and data management skills.
• Thorough understanding and knowledge of professional finance & accounting terminology, techniques, theories, and principles.
• Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
• Interpersonal Relationships
- Communicate via e-mail, telephone, and face-to-face discussions daily; will need to write effective letters and memos.
- Work as part of a team and communicate with people at many levels within the organization.
• Work Performance
- Plan most of their own tasks, priorities, and goals without direct supervision.
- The primary place of business is in the office; flexibility to work a minority of time remotely.
- May work longer hours from August to October during Audit Season.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.