Director, Partnership Development - Tampa Bay Lightning (Tampa · FL)
The Director, Partnership Development will be responsible for leading, coaching and developing a team of business professionals, creating and executing an annual new business plan and sales strategy, and leading new business sales efforts across all VSG properties. This person will work in close collaboration with the Director, Partnership Marketing & Activation and the Director, VSG Properties & Engagement to ensure team cohesion and synergy. Culture fit and the proven ability to operate successfully at a high level while leading in both thought and action with an organization first, department second, individual third mindset is critical.
The Director, Partnership Development will need to possess a positive, solution oriented, collaborative mindset, be a relationship oriented individual, excel at storytelling and creativity, and embrace innovation.
• Game/Event Night responsibilities: Yes
• Approximate number of events worked per year: 50
Supervisory & Management Responsibilities:
Essential Duties, Responsibilities, & Expectations:
• Responsible for leading a team of business development professionals, tasked with growing VSG property business lines via new partnership sales.
• Lead the strategic planning, inventory pricing and management, and category approach for all partnership new business efforts across Lightning, USF Athletics, and IDTB.
• Develop and execute strategic plans to achieve department new sales goals, while supporting and contributing to the larger organization’s goals and objectives.
• Responsible for leading and managing the department’s new business sales process from start to finish – relationship development, client objective-based ideation, CRM input, pitching, negotiating, closing, contract execution and transition of new partner accounts to the assigned partnership marketing and activation account lead.
• Coach, mentor, and develop a team of business professionals to best support the business and grow each individual in alignment with their professional career goals. Contributing to and supporting a world class organizational and departmental culture is paramount.
• Continually assess and advise the department on industry landscape, market demands, innovation, and emerging categories to keep sales strategies and tactics relevant.
• Research, ideate and execute industry leading partnership sales concepts and platforms.
• Identify and target potential, best-in-brand corporate partners at the regional, national, and international level, with a key focus on national and international brands.
• Ensue partner-based business objectives, asset alignment, analytics, and world class storytelling is incorporated into all new sales pitches.
• Negotiate new partnerships that benefit the partner, our fans, and the organization.
• Adapt selling style and technique to organizational priorities, evolving property portfolio and business needs.
• Collaborate and support the team in executing all partner relationships, contracts, and events.
• Collaborate with other internal VSG departments and external portfolio properties to ideate new partnership assets and platforms.
• Actively contribute to the team’s sales efforts by carrying an individual new business sales goal, targeted at a minimum $500K+ per partnership threshold.
• Achieve and exceed company and department goals and objectives.
• Host and entertain corporate partners and prospects at games and events.
• Develop strong, long-term relationships with both clients and co-workers.
• Support organization CHARGE program with a recommended 40 hours of community service
• Perform other duties, as assigned.
Qualifications & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in business management, marketing, advertising, or sports management (or similar field) from four-year college or university required.
• MBA and/or master’s degree in Sports & Entertainment Management preferred, but not required.
• Seven to ten years of experience in business development focused position(s) in sports, entertainment, advertising, technology, and/or consulting agency.
• Diverse market and work experience preferred.
• Prior activation and/or agency experience preferred but not required.
• Demonstrated ability to lead with a history of exhibiting strong moral character and selfless decision making.
• Proven ability to consistently close new business deals at the minimum $500K threshold.
• Self-motivated individual who can work independently as well as they work in a team environment, being a consummate team player.
• Strong presentations skills using storytelling, objectives and KPI’s.
• Roster of industry contacts, past clients, and category success.
• Creative, enthusiastic, and excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Superior customer service, relationship, and sales skills.
• Demonstrated ability to be a strategic, solution-oriented seller.
• Ability to establish effective client and interdepartmental relationships, manage multiple client contacts and projects, and drive business.
• Able to interface with colleagues, senior executives, and clients effectively and personably, recognizing the need to adjust communication style according to the audience.
• Ability to successfully collaborate and influence others in a flexible and dynamic environment
• Proficient in MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint. CRM experience a plus.
• Ability to work extended hours, including evenings, weekends, and holidays, as necessary.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.