The Pro Shop Merchandise Manager, under the direction of the Director of Operation, directs and operates the retail merchandise and equipment service sales operations, with the goal of exceeding expectations for product/service needs of the facility’s primary user groups, to achieve revenue and expense goals, while growing the San Jose Sharks brand.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees the operation of all Sharks Pro Shop stores, while effectively being a collaborative member of the Solar4America Ice Management Team.
- Recruits, trains, motivates, and evaluates staff, to sell merchandise and provide service in an inviting, professional manner, with a high level of integrity.
- Services customers’ needs pertaining to Pro Shop sales, merchandising, restocking, skate fittings & sharpening, repairs and overall excellent customer experience.
- Responsible for buying and maintaining all retail merchandise, including but not limited to ordering, margin controls, pricing, receiving and tagging incoming merchandise.
- Establish and cultivate long term superb vendor relationships and management of rebate driven buying programs to drive the success of our business.
- Promotes the Solar4America Ice merchandising philosophy to support the product/service needs of internal departments, primary user groups and margin management requirements.
- Ability to perform daily duties including opening and closing of Pro Shop, POS register closeouts and reconciliations, as well as, inventory spot checks.
- Strives to continuously strengthen the visual impact and appeal of store floor layout, fixtures and merchandise display, e.g., optimizing traffic flow with logical product deployment and higher margin product placement.
- Commitment to stay updated on all products and improvements related to the Hockey and Skating industry, including attending related industry trade and conference shows.
- Prepares all Purchase Orders, as well as, processing and paying invoices.
- Manages inventory procedures including periodic weekly, monthly checks and annual final inventory count for all store locations.
- Responsible for Weekly, Monthly and annual reports, including budgeting, sales, inventory, margin analysis and any additional Key Performance Indicators.
- Manage all retail POS Software and Hardware operations, including, accounts receivable and payable pertaining to the Pro Shop including processing of “Receiving Reports” and “Invoices” for payment.
- Establishes and ensures adherence to security practices and systems that minimize loss of cash and inventory shrinkage.
- Investigates and proactively takes corrective action when problems are identified with customers and/or employees or other related issues.
- Maintains knowledge of emergency procedures for equipment and building evacuation plan.
- Ensures the overall cleanliness of retail space, as well as, greater Solar4America Ice facility.
- Performs additional duties as required.
- It is imperative that you have the ability to work independently without supervision, be self-directed and demonstrate initiative.
- Exhibit good judgment and decision-making skills, as well as ability to manage your own time and implement your own schedule
- Bachelor’s degree required, or equivalent work experience.
- 3 - 5 years of merchandise management experience required.
- Ability to effectively manage people and develop a motivated team to provide excellent customer service.
- Demonstrated dynamic interpersonal skills required for great customer service duties.
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time. Bending, stooping, and occasional lifting of up to 40 pounds may be required.
- Demonstrated aptitude for working with purchases and sales of merchandise, marketing, knowledge of skating & hockey equipment, repair of equipment, and customer service strongly preferred.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.