TITLE: Event Manager
POSITION TYPE: Full Time, Exempt
COMPANY: Sharks Sports and Entertainment, LLC
LOCATION: SAP Center, San Jose, CA
REPORTS TO: Senior Event Manager
Born in 1991, Sharks Sports and Entertainment (“SSE”) has grown into a multi-faceted organization that includes the SAP Center, the NHL San Jose Sharks, the AHL San Jose Barracuda, three Sharks Ice facilities, and the non-profit Sharks Foundation. Additionally, we are growing our organization through expansion in the Bay Area and surrounding communities in Northern California.
We work and play in the Bay Area, and are deeply influenced by the technology, innovation, diversity, and commitment to excellence that surrounds us. Our culture is transforming to reflect those values, with an eye towards a pioneering, forward-thinking, and inclusive environment in sports and entertainment.
We live, work, and innovate by a set of Pioneering Principles:
T – Team success is more important than individual success
E – Exceptional experience is non-negotiable in everything we do
A – Appreciate others for their diversity and opinions
M – More risk leads to more rewards and expands our comfort zones
T – Trust that all teammates have the best intentions
E – Empower all teammates to make informed decisions
A – Always say what you really mean and do what you say
L – Lead by showing the respect to others you expect from them
We strive to unite people through a shared love of ice sports, entertainment, and our hometown. We are Teal Together; we are Team Teal.
The Event Manager will be primarily responsible for managing, monitoring, and supervising logistics and operation planning of assigned events at TechCU Arena and SAP Center at San Jose. This role oversees all event operational matters for AHL games at TechCU Arena and various assigned games, concerts, family shows, ice shows, and alike at both TechCU Arena and SAP Center at San Jose. Once an event is booked and assigned, the Event Manager will take responsibility for all aspects of the event except settlement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages relationships between the arena(s) and internal stakeholders, clients, promoters, partners, and vendors and serve as the primary building contact for the San Jose Barracuda facilitating team needs & business operations needs at TechCU Arena.
- Advance assigned upcoming shows with the promoter representative which requires the Event Manager to contact the representative in advance of the show date and obtain the technical/production rider, the security rider, rigging information and other details of the event.
- Evaluate & provide support for event requested set-ups and logistics during advance:
- Generate event CAD(s) to support the ticket office in generating on-sale maps & production kills, and building operations for stage builds, chair set, and alike.
- Provide support to events by ordering any special request items such as furniture, heavy equipment, show gas, runners or other approved items.
- Develop and disseminate event notes/event outlines for assigned events at least 5-days prior to event.
Primary Event Day Responsibilities:
- Ensure facility safety and readiness prior to event day/event arrival while maintaining SSE’s best interests and enforcing all facility policies as needed.
- Ensure all event expenses are provided to the VP/Director of Booking & Events for settlement in a timely manner (may also include pre-settlements).
- Assist Building Services & Conversions with the floor & arena set-up and ensure all is set correctly in accordance with building policy and fire code.
- Ensure facility safety and readiness across all levels and departments prior to opening doors while maintaining SSE’s best interests and enforcing all facility policies and governmental/legal regulations such as ADA law and fire code.
Primary Post-Event Responsibilities:
- Ensure all house equipment used is re-inventoried, cleaned, and re-set for the next event.
- Close and process all outstanding POs and financial obligations.
- Produce a post-event report documenting key information about the event capturing details centered around the specific production and show.
- Attend Operations Managers Meetings to provide details of upcoming events, Department Meetings to discuss procedures, assignments, issues and assigned tasks, and PMP (People Management Plan of frontline staff) meetings.
- Coordinate with Sr. Event Manager to organize and maintain the Booking & Events storage cage and equipment and assist with event day oversight of Part-Time Event Coordinators.
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable work experience
- Two (2) or more years related experience and/or training in the public assembly industry, arenas preferred.
- Demonstrate knowledge in operational procedures, facility capabilities, industry terminology, safety regulations and laws, event-related services and technical requirements for the types of events anticipated at the facility.
- Ability to read, understand, and implement various show riders.
- Engage in problem solving and decision making that is generally governed by procedure and guided by policy.
- Possess or be willing to obtain any licenses, certificates or training required by local, state or national authorities for the operation of the equipment found in the facility.
- Operate equipment such as light trucks, pallet jacks, forklifts or other light power-driven equipment.
- Operate standard office equipment including but not limited to a personal computer using Windows, Microsoft Office software, applicable event software (Event Booking/VenueOps & AutoCAD) and be able to use a handheld/portable radio.
- Ability to sit, stand and utilize a computer for extended periods of time.
- Communicate via phone and email with a variety of individuals.
- Follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with others in both oral and written form, and work independently without supervision.
- Event staff supervisory experience preferred.
- Must be able to pass a background and credit check.
- This position requires sitting, keyboarding, walking, standing, stooping and may require lifting and/or moving up to 55 lbs., substantial standing and physically navigate stairs and catwalks at SSE facilities during normal work hours and events.
- Ability to work occasional extended hours including nights, weekends, holidays (all with advance notice).
- Ability to anticipate problems and implement immediate corrective action.
- Strong orientation towards hospitality/customer service for sports and entertainment industry.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, employees, patrons and others encountered in the course of employment.
- Effective supervisory skills. Ability to deal effectively with personnel problems; to deal constructively with conflict; to motivate, provides counsel and executes applicable solutions.
- Organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines and work effectively under pressure and/or stringent schedule and produce accurate results.
- Exhibit good judgment and decision-making skills, as well as ability to manage your own time and implement your own schedule.
- Be an effective negotiator and have the ability to handle conflict if/when it occurs.
At this time, all SSE employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to working onsite at any SSE facility, unless the individual is able to telework or is otherwise eligible for an exemption in accordance with applicable law.
What We Offer:
- Competitive compensation
- A robust package of healthcare benefits; 401(k) retirement.
- The opportunity to work with a variety of passionate individuals, committed to innovating exceptional sports and entertainment opportunities in our hometown.
- An inclusive culture which values diversity of background and a passion to improve our SSE’s commitment to change with impact on our community and industry.
This position is not eligible for U.S. work authorization sponsorship.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging
Here at Team Teal, we recognize and celebrate that individuals come with a wealth of experience and talent well beyond any list of required skills and qualifications – in fact, we believe diversity of backgrounds and skills, combined with passion, are the most important keys to meaningful innovation and excellence. Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions. Please let us know if you require accommodations during the interview process.
Sharks Sports and Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We enthusiastically accept our responsibility to make employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, marital status, medical condition as defined by state law (genetic characteristics or cancer), physical or mental disability, military service or veterans’ status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, genetic information, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Notice to Recruiters and Agencies
SSE recruits candidates directly, rather than through third-party recruiters or agencies. Under no circumstances will SSE pay a fee for candidates submitted or presented without a signed recruiting agreement in place between SSE and the recruiter or agency prior to the submittal; any submittal must be for requisition specifically and individually assigned in writing by SSE’s HR department. In the case of candidate(s) submitted or presented to SSE by a recruiter or agency without a signed agreement AND written assignment by SSE Human Resources, SSE explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) with no financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.