Job Title: Guest Experience Manager
Department: Guest Experience
Primary Job Location: SAP Center at San Jose & Tech CU Arena
Reports to: Sr. Director, Guest Experience & Security
POSTING DATED: March 14, 2022
Born in 1991, Sharks Sports and Entertainment (“SSE”) has grown into a multi‐faceted organization that includes the NHL’s San Jose Sharks, the AHL’s San Jose Barracuda, SAP Center, Tech CU Arena, three Sharks Ice facilities, and the non‐profit Sharks Foundation. We are continually growing our organization through expansion in the Bay Area and surrounding communities in Northern California.
We work and play in the Bay Area, and are deeply influenced by the technology, innovation, diversity, and commitment to excellence that surrounds us. Our culture is transforming to reflect those values, with an eye towards a pioneering, forward‐thinking, and inclusive environment in sports and entertainment.
We live, work, and innovate by a set of Pioneering Principles:
T – Team success is more important than individual success
E – Exceptional experience is non‐negotiable in everything we do
A – Appreciate others for their diversity and opinions
M – More risk leads to more rewards and expands our comfort zones
T – Trust that all teammates have the best intentions
E – Empower all teammates to make informed decisions
A – Always say what you really mean and do what you say
L – Lead by showing the respect to others you expect from them
We strive to unite people through a shared love of ice sports, entertainment, and our hometown. We are #TealTogether; we are Team Teal.
The Guest Experience Manager, acting under the direction of the Sr. Director of Guest Experience and Security, is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Ushering, Event Security, Event Medical and Guest Experience functions at SAP Center, Sharks Ice and Tech CU Arena. This role has an emphasis on event and staff preparation, and a utilization of crowd management best practices to empower the frontline part time team to provide our guests with a consistent level of impressive service that exceeds their expectations and enhances their entertainment experience. This position collaborates with the operational departments leads to ensure all event needs are met.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead with a positive attitude and demonstrate commitment to all Team Members.
- Focus on the experience of all stakeholders, continuously evaluating the processes to identify improvements.
- Collaborate within department management and company to achieve goals.
- Provide strong people leadership; implement strategies to effectively manage Team Members and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of department’s people resources.
- Identify best practices, products, and new services to enhance the guest experience, and department efficiencies.
- Resolves concerns quickly to a positive outcome.
People Management Responsibilities - 20%
- Establish goals and objectives for assigned team.
- Empower frontline team members to consistently practice desired performance that enhances the guest’s entertainment experience.
- Train, evaluate, and foster growth and development of Team Members.
- Counsel team members on proper job performance and the need to create a positive, safe guest experience for all events. (Written and oral)
- Responsible for counseling, conducting appraisals and termination of department employees.
- Develop and implement on the job training for the Guest Experience team on a reoccurring basis with a focus on safety and guest service excellence.
- Oversee and coordinate the workload and tasks of part-time support staff in area of responsibility.
- Develop Guest Experience Coordinators to ensure position goals and requirements are met.
- Collaborate with Department Management on creation, implementation and maintenance of department onboarding and continuing education training.
- Support the Pioneering Principals Recognition plan for frontline team members.
- Communicate Guest Experience philosophy to all departments’ employees and keeps peers advise of guest experience and safety issues and opportunities.
- Implement process and support systems that consistently measure and improve performance.
- Responsible for analyzing information regarding staffing levels, turnover rates, tenure averages and termination percentages for assigned positions.
- Contribute to the development of cross departmental training programs in support of Team Teal efforts to provide best-in-class trainings.
- Communicate and cultivate safety and emergency management culture within department and company framework.
- Identify and develop staff for department support responsibilities.
- Follow all organizational labor guidelines, human resources policies and regulations, monitors for compliance.
- Participate and liaison with union stewards.
- Active member of the PMP Management Team.
Event Coordination Responsibilities - 40%
- Attend the weekly Operations Managers meeting.
- Meet with booking managers and touring event representatives to determine security and other guest service requirements for each event.
- Ensure that all ADA regulations, building and event credentials and building and event policies are communicated and implemented appropriately.
- Determine door openings, uniforms, priority status, report times and search for all events.
- Responsible for managing assigned areas performance during events, serves as department lead as applicable.
- Ensures that set up team is briefed and has needed information to set department areas pre-event.
- Coordinate door opening and line management with appropriate managers.
- Oversee the Ticket Scan process and event attendance information.
- Oversee Team Services program ensuring team members are appropriately staffed and trained for Sharks/Barracuda Team Security.
- Oversees the creation and distribution of supplemental event notes, fact sheets, etc.
- Collaborates with Booking Department on the creation of event estimates.
- Coordinates third party staffing assistance as applicable.
- Ensures that staffing numbers are distributed to police and auxiliary security as applicable.
Guest Experience and Security Responsibilities - 20%
- Responsible for recruiting, selecting, hiring, and developing full-time and part-time employees of the team.
- Implement and refine People Management Plan within area of responsibility.
- Respond to guest-related incidents requiring manager’s involvement throughout events such as lost children, relocations, injuries, stolen tickets, evictions, etc.
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of all applicable regulations for emergency preparedness, security, and similar areas.
- Conduct pre-event and post-event briefing for supervisors and staff.
- Implement Guest Experience philosophy in area of responsibility and keep peers advised of guest services policies and issues.
- Identify best practices, budgetary items, and services to enhance the guest experience.
- Develop, document, and implement building policy and procedures.
Administrative Responsibilities - 20%
- Consult with Sr. Director of Guest Experience & Security on personnel, event, and guest matters.
- Administer Aware Manager system, create and implement use and champion purpose throughout the organization.
- Collaborate and develop training programs in the Litmos dojo that incrementally improve the performance of department team members.
- Assist with handling sensitive situations including injuries, incidents involving alcohol, and unruly guests.
- Provide budgetary reporting and analytic assistance to Sr. Director, Guest Experience & Security.
- Document and maintains assigned area standard operating procedures.
- Respond to guest concerns via phone, e-mail, and letter or in person.
- Assists with the department budget and reporting.
- Creates after incident action reports as applicable.
- Will perform other duties as assigned.
- BS / BA or equivalent.
- 1- 3 years of proven experience in the guest services, event, security industry; with 1-2 years of supervisory experience preferred.
- Prior building or physical security experience and/or knowledge of security operations a plus.
- Prior event medical planning experience or knowledge a plus.
- Bi-lingual a plus.
- Strong project management skills and ability to multi-task.
- Strong presentation skills in addition to strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent ability to establish rapport with others and ability to build strong interpersonal relationships.
- It is imperative that you can work independently without supervision, be self-directed and demonstrate initiative.
- Exhibit good judgment and decision-making skills, as well as ability to manage your own time and implement your own schedule.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Strong organizational skills, time management skills and attention to detail required.
- Develop and maintain excellent guest/employee service via creative problem solving/communication skills (written and oral).
- Work cooperatively with staff in other departments and organizations.
- Demonstrate working knowledge in Microsoft Office Suite programs.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of incident management programs and concepts.
- Must be able to speak to large groups of people.
- Ability to be flexible, to coordinate and juggle numerous priorities and projects and meet deadlines without sacrificing creative effectiveness.
- Maintain acceptable attendance and punctuality.
- This job will require availability to work shifts outside of SSE’s typical business hours. With advance notice, you may be scheduled to work evenings, weekends, and holidays. A successful Ushering and Emergency Medical Manager will demonstrate a clear understanding that most of the events take place between the hours of 5:00 p.m. and 12:00 a.m., including work on holidays and weekends
- Ability to sit, stand and utilize a computer for extended periods of time
- Communicate via phone and email with a variety of individuals
- Ability to bend at the waist, reach overhead and lift up to 40 lbs
- Physically navigate stairs and catwalks at SSE facilities during normal work hours and events
- Ability to work occasional extended hours including nights, weekends, holidays (all with advance notice)
What We Offer:
- Competitive compensation (base salary and variable incentive plan)
- Central office location in downtown Oakland; convenient access to BART, major freeways and free parking
- The opportunity to work with a variety of passionate individuals, committed to innovating exceptional sports and entertainment opportunities in our hometown
- An inclusive culture which values diversity of background and a passion to improve our SSE’s commitment to change with impact on our community and industry
- Potential for flexible scheduling and telework opportunities
This position is not eligible for U.S. work authorization sponsorship.
- The pay range for this role is $85,000 - $95,000 per year
Our Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging & EEO Statement
Here at Team Teal, we recognize and celebrate that individuals come with a wealth of experience and talent well beyond any list of required skills and qualifications – in fact, we believe diversity of backgrounds and skills, combined with passion, are the most important keys to meaningful innovation and excellence.
Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions. Please let us know if you require accommodations during the interview process.
Sharks Sports and Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We make employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, marital status, medical condition as defined by state law (genetic characteristics or cancer), physical or mental disability, military service or veterans’ status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, genetic information, or any other classification protected by applicable federal,
state, and local laws and ordinances.
Notice to Recruiters and Agencies
SSE recruits candidates directly, rather than through third‐party recruiters or agencies. Under no circumstances will SSE pay a fee for candidates submitted or presented without a signed recruiting agreement in place between SSE and the recruiter or agency prior to the submittal; any submittal must be for requisition specifically and individually assigned in writing by SSE’s HR department. In the case of candidate(s) submitted or presented to SSE by a recruiter or agency without a signed agreement and written assignment by SSE, SSE explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) with no financial obligation to the recruiter or agency