TITLE: Director, People
POSITION TYPE: Full Time, Exempt
COMPANY: Sharks Sports and Entertainment, LLC
LOCATION: San Jose, California; Hybrid Flexible
REPORTS TO: Senior Vice President, General Counsel
POSTING DATED: November 18, 2022
Born in 1991, Sharks Sports and Entertainment (“SSE”) has grown into a multi-faceted organization that includes the SAP Center, the NHL San Jose Sharks, the AHL San Jose Barracuda, the Tech CU Arena, three Sharks Ice facilities, and the non-profit Sharks Foundation. Additionally, we are growing our organization through expansion in the Bay Area and surrounding communities in Northern California.
We work and play in the Bay Area, and are deeply influenced by the technology, innovation, diversity, and commitment to excellence that surrounds us. Our culture is transforming to reflect those values, with an eye towards a pioneering, forward-thinking, and inclusive environment in sports and entertainment.
We live, work, and innovate by a set of Pioneering Principles:
T – Team success is more important than individual success
E – Exceptional experience is non-negotiable in everything we do
A – Appreciate others for their diversity and opinions
M – More risk leads to more rewards and expands our comfort zones
T – Trust that all teammates have the best intentions
E – Empower all teammates to make informed decisions
A – Always say what you really mean and do what you say
L – Lead by showing the respect to others you expect from them
We strive to unite people through a shared love of ice sports, entertainment, and our hometown. We are #TealTogether.
Reporting to the SVP, General Counsel, the Director, People will be the HR lead on all aspects of people strategy and people operations for SSE. This includes both our front office (full time, business and hockey operations) and frontline (part time, arenas and ice center) populations. The successful candidate will oversee a team of seven HR professionals and serve as trusted advisor and business partner to the organization on HR issues related to key business initiatives, including but not limited to talent acquisition and management, total rewards including compensation and benefits, HR data and systems, employee wellness and engagement, and design initiatives to ensure structure, process, rewards, metrics, and talent align with the overall business strategy for all employee populations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as the expert and resource in all facets of the human resources function. Provide concrete, timely, and value-added generalist services to include organizational effectiveness, employee relations, performance management, succession, and development planning, while ensuring alignment and measurability to critical HR and organizational objectives
- Develop a shared sense of direction and purpose across the HR functional group and drive a people centric and proactive HR function. Manage the development, motivation, retention, and recruitment of a high-quality HR team that will effectively deliver best-in-class employee experiences
- Collaborate with Leadership across properties (Sharks, Barracuda, Foundation, SAP Center, Tech CU Arena, Sharks Ice), to develop and foster a unified company culture in which employees know that they are valued and heard throughout the organization Partner with the Director, Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging in developing and executing a thoughtful and sustainable HR and DI&B strategy that aligns with the organization’s objectives
- Establish annual and long-term strategic plan outlining HR goals, objectives, and strategies; drive and track progress towards the strategic plan, by way of semi-annual progress reports ensuring key internal stakeholders can track progress towards inclusive excellence
- Establish people manager toolkits and learning and development opportunities that enhance intercultural practices within the organization including coaching, advancement programs, etc.
- Enhance the culture of excellence by developing and deploying talent management methodology and measurement systems, in conjunction provide managers and leaders with tools and coaching to create a positive, highly engaged, results-oriented culture
- Advise the organization regarding grievances and violations invoking disciplinary action when required
- Maintain knowledge of HR trends in employment law, legislation, compliance, as well as within the NHL and AHL
- Monitor the “pulse” of employees to ensure a high level of employee engagement as well as review and analyze data to identify trends and opportunities of impact; develop, manage, and execute programs and events that support morale, engagement and retention, communication, inclusivity, and organizational effectiveness
- Work collaboratively with Finance on the current and future employee trends, including compensation strategy, total rewards and benefits, keeping both the employee’s and organization’s interests in mind
- Improve the effectiveness of the company’s onboarding programming, fully immersing new employees into the company culture and introducing all policies, benefits, and resources available
- Enhance organizational recruitment strategies to elevate employer brand and ensure a steady stream of highly qualified candidates for job openings as well as pipeline for future openings
- Serve as a bridge between people operations and hiring managers to create a best-in-class training, development, and mentoring process for the organization
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Organizational Psychology or related degree; Master’s degree a plus
- SPHR or SHRM-SCP certification preferred
- Experience with HRIS implementations; familiarity with SAP SuccessFactors preferred
- 7-10 years of experience in human resources, preferably in sports, entertainment, hospitality, or related fields, with prior experience overseeing strategic and operational HR functions
- Must be self-motivated, detail-oriented, and have a strong sense of accountability
- Possess a positive, engaging, and professional personality
- Demonstrated ability to integrate vision, strategy, tactics, and activities to move initiatives forward
- Ability to influence, persuade, and inspire individuals and organizations to make difficult timely decisions and actions, particularly when undergoing frequent dynamic change
- Strong understanding and passion for the sport of hockey are preferred
- Ability to work nontraditional hours in nontraditional settings, including holidays, nights, and weekends
- Demonstrated ability to design and articulate a strategic vision and proven experience with driving that vision throughout an organization
- Demonstrated ability to organize and manage multiple priorities using resolution/problem-solving skills and a team focus
At this time, all SSE employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to working onsite at any SSE facility, unless the individual is able to telework or is otherwise eligible for an exemption in accordance with applicable law. If on-site services are to be performed, SSE will require you to certify your vaccination status as part of the onboarding process
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation (base salary and variable incentive plan)
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Flexible Spending Accounts (all LGBTQ+ friendly)
- Pretax Transportation Benefit
- 401K (pre-tax and Roth options)
- Unlimited Paid Time Off
- Minimum of 10 Paid Holidays and Wellness Days per year
- Complimentary or discounted sports and concert tickets
- Other League & partner discounts
- Central office location in downtown San Jose at the heart of Silicon Valley; convenient access to Caltrain, VTA, major freeways and free parking
- An inclusive culture which values diversity of background and a passion to improve our SSE’s commitment to change with impact on our community and industry
- Potential for flexible scheduling and telework opportunities
Our Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging
Here at Team Teal, we recognize and celebrate that individuals come with a wealth of experience and talent well beyond any list of required skills and qualifications – in fact, we believe diversity of backgrounds and skills, combined with passion, are the most important keys to meaningful innovation and excellence. Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions. Please let us know if you require accommodations during the interview process.
Sharks Sports and Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We accept our responsibility to make employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, marital status, medical condition as defined by state law (genetic characteristics or cancer), physical or mental disability, military service or veterans’ status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, genetic information, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Notice to Recruiters and Agencies
SSE recruits candidates directly, rather than through third-party recruiters or agencies. Under no circumstances will SSE pay a fee for candidates submitted or presented without a signed recruiting agreement in place between SSE and the recruiter or agency prior to the submittal; any submittal must be for requisition specifically and individually assigned in writing by SSE’s HR department. In the case of candidate(s) submitted or presented to SSE by a recruiter or agency without a signed agreement AND written assignment by SSE Human Resources, SSE explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) with no financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.