Job Title: Data Engineer
Job Reports To: Assistant General Manager and Manager, Hockey Analytics & Operations
Department: Hockey Operations
This is a great opportunity for someone with 2-3 years experience in a data engineering role, preferably with a sports team. The Data Engineer will work in the Nashville Predators front office, supporting hockey decision-making at all levels: management, coaching, and scouting. As a member of the hockey analytics team, this individual will help support in areas such as team evaluation, player acquisition, and contract research. This role will be responsible for acquiring, cleaning, storing, and extraction of hockey data through the refinement and inclusion of ETL processes for our various data pipelines and through the enhancement of our data storage solution. The ideal candidate will have a robust programming background with a strong passion for working with a tight-knit group towards a common goal.
- Design, document, and manage data pipelines from a rapidly increasing number of sources.
- Develop processes for maintaining, improving, and testing data integrity across multiple sources.
- Optimize and maintain efficient database schemas and perform migrations.
- Stay up to date with industry best practices and technologies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in computer science, information systems, or a related field.
- Two (2) - three (3) years of relatable experience, preferably with a sports team.
- Fluent in SQL development and database technologies.
- Ability to write complex SQL views or procedures to extract meaningful information for reporting or upon request under timelines.
- Ability to improve data infrastructure to facilitate user interfaces and analytical research.
- Experience with ETL Experience with ETL methodologies and best practices.
- Experience with at least one programming language for data analysis (ie. R, Python).
- Experience automating unit-testing, quality assurance, and/or data quality monitoring.
- Ability to learn new technologies and techniques, as necessary.
- As a condition of employment, qualified applicant will be subject to a background check, including criminal history, driving history and character references.
- Possess a valid driver’s license, possess a suitable driving history and be insurable by Club’s insurance carrier (without conditions).
- Experience maintaining real-time and/or streaming databases and working with Rest APIs.
- Experience working with AWS or other cloud service provider.
- Strong knowledge of hockey and hockey data.
Essential Physical Functions:
- Ability to clearly communicate and collaborate with coworkers.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to stand in an upright position for extended periods of time.
- High finger dexterity.
- Excellent speaking and listening skills, requiring the perception of speech.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.