The NHL Live Social Contributor for the Edmonton Oilers is every fan’s eyes and ears in each one of the NHL’s 32 arenas during each one of the team’s regular season home games in 2021-22.
Working directly with one NHL team in one city and coordinating entirely remotely with the NHL’s Social Media team, the Live Social Contributor attends 41 home games and uses an NHL-issued iPhone, and a self-supplied DSLR camera, to bring fans as close to each game as possible. LSCs capture videos and photos that offer fans a unique look at what it’s like to be in the stands with the most passionate fans, down in the tunnel as players enter the ice, behind the scenes as players warmup before the game, and up close and personal to the game on the glass.
This part-time creative role on the NHL’s Social Media team requires excellent communication and the highest level of accountability.
This content creator uploads and shares videos and photos throughout the game. This content is reviewed by producers at the NHL, the home team, and the away team during the game. The best of the best is then shared on official Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok and Snapchat channels that are managed independently. Content can also be utilized on other related accounts such as NHL players and broadcasters. This position supplies content but does not post it directly to official channels.
The Live Social Contributor manages requests and shot lists from all stakeholders and sends content to them in real-time and in an organized manner.
This job requires the ability to work nights/weekends as the respective team’s home game schedule requires. It requires consistent and reliable mode of transportation to and from games. It requires possession of photography and videography equipment. This position reports to the Manager, Social Media Programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Capture social-first photos and videos on a mixture of camera and iPhone during each home game to deliver to the NHL, the home team, and the away team social media team
- Execute prescribed shot list from stakeholders and utilize creative eye for engaging social media content
- Seek out the stories both on and off the ice that will bring fans on social media closer to the game
- Understand social platforms and the type of content that works especially in the sports space
- Possesses a keen eye and developed skill for high-quality photography and video
- Photography and videography skills are a must
- Own personal photography/videography equipment
- Capable of handling and coordinating multiple projects simultaneously
- Responsive, understands the need for constant communication in the digital age
- Positive and outgoing attitude
- Up-to-date on social media trends, follows sports accounts on all social channels and understands the landscape
- A good storyteller and has a strong understanding of what makes good social content
- Punctual, responsible, quick on your feet
- Independent and a self-motivator who takes the initiative to be creative and proactive
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience with media management and editing software a plus
- Knowledge of hockey, the NHL, and the respective team a plus
We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
No phone calls, emails, or recruitment agency inquiries. Candidate application receipt confirmations and/or recruitment status update inquiries will not be provided.
The National Hockey League is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as an individual with a disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. The NHL welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.