Founded in 1917, the National Hockey League (NHL®) is the premier professional ice hockey league in the world, and is one of the major professional sports leagues in the United States and Canada. With more than 600 employees across offices in New York, Toronto and Montreal, the NHL is a global sports and entertainment organization committed to building healthy and vibrant communities using the sport of hockey to celebrate fans of every race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, and socio-economic status. At the NHL, we are looking for dynamic, energetic and impactful individuals who are committed to doing the same by sharing in our philosophy that Hockey is for Everyone – and inclusion belongs on the ice, in the locker rooms, boardrooms and stands.
Benefits to working at National Hockey League include:
- Medical/ Dental/ Vision insurance effective on the date of hire
- 401(K) Plan and Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Annual Bonus
- Generous PTO policy
- Commuter Benefit Program
- Paid Company Holidays
The Director, Broadcast Technology and Remote Technical Operations is a primary technical and operational contact with NHL member clubs, game venues and with the League's Regional, National & International television & radio rightsholders. This position will act as a change agent to drive technology evolution throughout the NHL & plays a critical part in ensuring all NHL business units, partners & rightsholders can create and deliver the stories and content to all audiences across linear and non-linear platforms for NHL game & event productions.
- Lead the design and technical broadcast integrations at NHL Events both domestically and internationally.
- Project manage & act as a "Technical specialist" on leaguewide broadcast initiatives and workflow deployments, in collaboration with NHL clubs, TV & Radio Rightsholders & with the League's strategic partners and vendors.
- Research and report on new and emerging broadcast technologies and practices that can be incorporated into NHL events, telecasts and at NHL venues
- Develop leaguewide standards and operational SOP's for broadcast operations
- Lead "Tech Manager", running point on all technical planning and execution from concept thru execution for NHL remote productions & events.
- Work with internal business units, game venues and NHL clubs on documenting all Broadcast and in-venue infrastructure; game presentation systems; lighting systems; power
- Primary resource on broadcast engineering & infrastructure for all NHL game venue construction projects & renovations
- Minimum 10 years in Sports Television & Event Production Industry
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Broadcast Production Technology, or equivalent work experience.
- Remote television Production, Planning & Management experience, both domestically and internationally, including previous experience/roles as a lead Tech Manager for live sports productions
- Experience & familiarity with the in/outs of mobile production facilities and leading the technical setup & operations for remote productions
- Versed in all Broadcast cabling standards
- In-depth experience and knowledge in technology and broadcast productions.
- Critical thinker who has awareness on development of new innovative technology, trends and advanced workflow implementation.
- Strong communicator (both written and verbally) who can simplify complex subjects and deliver important messages internally and externally. Proven track record working with large scale vendors and broadcast media partners; experience negotiating with 3rd party vendors
- In-depth experience and knowledge on procurement of technical and broadcast equipment to execute event production
- Experience reviewing and interpreting production service agreements, statements of work, and commercial contracts.
- Excellent interpersonal, written/verbal communication, organizational, project management and leadership skills.
- Be process-oriented and able to apply structure to complex problems
- Be 'customer'-focused and have the ability to communicate complex concepts and designs to non-technical groups
- Be team oriented and able to solicit and share information freely
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite including Visio and Outlook
- Proficiency with AudoCad, BlueBeam Revu, Monday.com; Slack, BOX
Must be able to quickly assess and make educated, rational decisions. Must be capable of resolving disputes. Must be comfortable in a live sports production environment and motivated to develop and advance their skill set and knowledge base to keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies of the Broadcast and Technology industry. English primary; Fluency in French, Chinese, or Eastern/Western European language(s) a plus.
Salary Range for this role is $150K - $200K
When applying, please be sure to include a cover letter with your salary expectations for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity, however only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. NO EMAILS OR PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.