Founded in 1917, the National Hockey League (NHL®) is the premier professional ice hockey league in the world, and is one of the major professional sports leagues in the United States and Canada. With more than 600 employees across offices in New York, Toronto and Montreal, the NHL is a global sports and entertainment organization committed to building healthy and vibrant communities using the sport of hockey to celebrate fans of every race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, and socio-economic status. At the NHL, we are looking for dynamic, energetic and impactful individuals who are committed to doing the same by sharing in our philosophy that Hockey is for Everyone – and inclusion belongs on the ice, in the locker rooms, boardrooms and stands.
The National Hockey League is seeking an Associate Counsel to work primarily on intellectual property (broadly defined) and related contractual matters. Qualified candidates must be experienced in the area of intellectual property law (broadly defined).
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Negotiation of agreements involving intellectual property matters and special events matters;
- Advising business groups on intellectual property legal issues;
- Advising on intellectual property aspects of blockchain-related technologies, including non-fungible tokens/NFT marketplaces, cryptocurrency exchanges, and metaverse applications;
- Review and development of marketing materials and consumer products;
- Handling enforcement matters against trademark and copyright counterfeiters and infringers;
- Trademark prosecution and registration and copyright registration;
- Trademark search and clearance.
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school and state bar admission.
- Minimum of three years of intellectual property legal experience at a law firm and/or in-house legal department.
- Experience in the areas of responsibility described above.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple assignments and deadlines.
- Excellent writing skills.
- French and/or Chinese language skills a plus.
- Some travel and weekend/holiday work required.
When applying, please be sure to include a cover letter with your salary expectations for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity, however only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. NO EMAILS OR PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Benefits to working at National Hockey League include:
- Medical/ Dental/ Vision insurance effective on the date of hire
- 401(K) Plan and Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Annual Bonus
- Generous PTO policy
- Commuter Benefit Program
- Paid Company Holidays
- Salary range for this position is $150k - $175k
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.