The community impact director, fundraising and development, will provide visionary leadership to developing and growing the impact of the Detroit Red Wings Foundation and Detroit Tigers Foundation through significant fundraising efforts, long-term corporate partnerships, and strategic donor relations that offer reach and charitable support for organizational priorities.
Key Responsibilities / Skill Requirements:
- Lead a team of colleagues to develop and execute a dedicated fundraising and development strategy for the Detroit Red Wings Foundation and Detroit Tigers Foundation, supporting opportunities to unify efforts between franchises.
- Serve as the subject matter expert on fundraising and development for the sports & entertainment group with particular focus on innovative strategies to support each teams’ youth education, youth wellness, and youth sport participation and growth programming.
- Build upon current fundraising and development programming (e.g. Toast of Hockeytown, Keeping Kids in the Game, 50/50 raffle, online auctions, etc.) to continue elevating year-round donor community support for groundbreaking youth outreach efforts from the Red Wings and Tigers.
- Establish effective fundraising goals, objectives and KPIs, including creation of tracking system to monitor data and funding targets year-round.
- Serve as the primary driver for gifts to the Detroit Red Wings Foundation and Detroit Tigers Foundation – individual/corporate giving and grant-based fundraising efforts – including donor identification/research, cultivation, solicitation, reporting, and stewardship.
- Develop and maintain active relationships with Major League Baseball, the National Hockey League, member clubs, as well as the donor community and corporate partners.
- Responsible for maintaining fiscal accountability and control for the Detroit Red Wings Foundation and Detroit Tigers Foundation; maintain budget and provide periodic reports related to fundraising and expenditures.
- Collaborate with outreach and engagement / sport participation and growth units to develop a financial framework for achieving programmatic goals and objectives, including advising on small-to-large scale investments focused on deep impact within communities.
- Work with the creative, marketing, and communications teams to effectively brand, market and communicate fundraising activities and programming.
- Be a positive presence in the community among individuals and corporations through participation in both internal and external events, and various media activities.
- Communicate and be an advocate for a unified message to increase brand awareness and recognition of the Detroit Red Wings Foundation and Detroit Tigers Foundation throughout Michigan and abroad.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supplemental Job Functions:
• Performs other duties as assigned
- Directly manages one full-time colleague. Indirectly manages two full-time colleagues and two part-time seasonal colleagues. Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the outreach and engagement vertical.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training colleagues; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining colleagues; addressing complaints and resolving concerns.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- 7-10 years demonstrated successful experience in nonproﬁt fundraising, development, advancement, and/or donor/corporate relations.
- Proven record of establishing excellence in fundraising program development to increase charitable funding and donor loyalty.
- Prior experience securing partnerships and donations against a development goal, working with a variety of corporate divisions including, but not limited to foundations, marketing, community impact, and corporate partnership divisions.
- Strong event planning experience operating within approved budgets and meeting goals, objectives and KPIs.
- Experience working with donor databases and CRM platforms.
- Significant experience in strategic and financial planning, as well as organizational development and colleague management.
- Evidence of solid communication skills through verbal, written and telephonic channels.
- Ability to demonstrate computer proficiency; experienced with Word mail merge, Excel spreadsheets, and PowerPoint presentations.
- Ability to produce deadline-driven material with a high attention to detail and confidentiality.
- Knowledge of baseball, softball, and/or hockey fundraising and development landscape.
- Excellent organizational, communication and presentation skills including proposal development and networking skills with large groups as well as individuals.
- Self-motivated and disciplined with demonstrated ability to take primary responsibility for diverse number of projects and to complete them in a timely manner.
Preferred Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Experience working in the sports and entertainment industry.
- Advanced knowledge of baseball, softball, and/or hockey.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to excel in a mastery-oriented environment.
- Irregular and extended hours including nights, weekends, and holidays
- Exposure to moderate - high noise level
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Frequent visual/auditory attention
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a colleague encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above is intended to describe the essential job functions, the general supplemental functions and the essential requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of all supplemental duties, responsibilities or nonessential requirements. Olympia Entertainment, Inc. has the right to change, modify, suspend, interrupt or cancel in whole or in part any job functions outlined in a job description at any time and without advance notice to the employee.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.