The Rockford IceHogs Media Relations Manager is a position based in Rockford, Illinois, that operates through the Chicago Blackhawks Communications Department. The position is responsible for the generation of positive publicity for the Rockford IceHogs, including traditional hockey media and unique story ideas surrounding the team and players. You will be responsible for coordinating the day-to-day hockey media relations efforts in Rockford, facilitating all media availabilities for the Rockford IceHogs Head Coach, Players and select members of the hockey operations staff that operates on site. The Rockford IceHogs Media Relations Manager will also be responsible for necessary content gather needs for the Chicago Blackhawks Marketing Department as facilitated by the Senior Director, Media Relations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Assist the Chicago Blackhawks Communications Department with all responsibilities as it pertains to the Rockford IceHogs hockey team.
- Expected to participate in all Blackhawks Communications Department group discussion and meetings virtually
- Expected to participate in various Blackhawks events including, but not limited to: the early stages of training camp, various special events, postseason games and other planning
- Serve as a main media relations point of contact for the IceHogs executives, head coach and players
- Create, edit and publish content for Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and TikTok, including coverage of IceHogs’ games, practices, events, and appearances.
- Assist with managing content calendars for all social channels.
- Track and analyze social media performance in collaboration with Chicago Blackhawks.
- Work with Rockford Ticketing, Community, Youth Hockey, Retail and other verticals to develop unique campaigns and promotions.
- Drafting and editing of all written materials for the Communications Department as it pertains to the Rockford IceHogs, which includes, but is not limited to: game notes, press releases/advisories, game day documents, post-game notes, media guides and department manuals.
- Coordinate all media credentialing and distribution at IceHogs practices, games and events – which includes working as the direct point of contact for the BMO Center
- Manage media servicing at IceHogs practices and games day, including the press box on game nights.
- Manage all hockey information services for media and coaching staff on practice and game days.
- Pitch non-traditional and human interest stories on the IceHogs players to local and national media outlets.
- Maintain, cultivate and grow relationships with local Rockford hockey and news reporters.
- Track media coverage of all IceHogs events and announcements to assist in keeping all hockey team executives informed.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Liberal Arts, Public Relations or Communications with a minimum 2-3 years equivalent experience with a professional sports team in media or public relations.
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality.
- Interpersonal skills –listens to others, works well in a team environment.
- Excellent communication skills including written and verbal; ability to present ideas clearly and concisely.
- Can prioritize work activities and use time efficiently.
- Must be capable of handling multiple projects.
- Adaptability – adapts to change in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to handle frequent changes.
- Dependability – consistently at work on time, follows instructions, responds to manager’s instructions.
- Ability to work independently and make quick, yet measured decisions with the overall media strategy in mind
- Creative thinking and ability to work with a sense of urgency is required.
- Ability to work extended hours around the team game schedule, including nights, weekends, holidays.
- Strong social media sense and knowledge.
- Strong computer skills – including all Microsoft Office software programs, Adobe InDesign and Zoom; be on the cutting edge of emerging technologies that support the Communications field.