Revised as of: April 9, 2021
Department: Business Strategy
Reports to: VP, Strategy and Analytics
The Director of Technology Strategy is responsible for defining the Blackhawks’ enterprise customer facing technology strategy for the full portfolio which includes the Chicago Blackhawks, Chicago Blackhawks Foundation, Rockford Ice Hogs, 5/3rd Community Ice Arena and future businesses. In addition, this position will collaborate with United Center and its other tenants and building partners. This role will design and build the roadmap and standards that drive superior live and digital customer experiences. This position will set the vision to create best in class experiences for fans and provide guidance to Blackhawks and United Center leadership on advancements and where we should focus our efforts to provide a competitive advantage for the organization.
This position is responsible for developing and spearheading the following functions:
- Technology research & development
- Technology investments
- Technology partnerships
- Implementation of new technology
- Develop and execute on an enterprise technology strategy and structure in support of organizational objectives, developing short- and long-term roadmaps to achieve success.
- Reimagine user journeys and fan engagement enabled through innovation and next-gen technology.
- Develop strategic tech plans, including estimating return on investments, return on fan engagement, and levels of effort to execute as well as outlining task dependencies and level of risk.
- Build and evaluate business cases and financial projections to effectively advocate for investments and prioritize opportunities.
- Serve as subject matter expert on emerging technology trends and lead R&D of existing and emerging tech and create documentation for leaders and key stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain relationships with top tech organizations and disruptors to understand development roadmaps, obtain first access to new technology, and to influence development.
- Develop and maintain relationships with venture capitalists and venture studios to understand development roadmaps, obtain first access to new technology, and to influence development.
- Collaborate with the major leagues and top entertainment or hospitality organizations on technology research, pilots, and best practices from inception to execution.
- Cultivate strong stakeholder relationships with Blackhawks executives and department leads that foster effective cross-functional collaboration and alignment.
- Continuously evaluate tech stack and capabilities through assessment of assets and gaps; establish a roadmap for advancing these areas to successfully execute strategy.
- Define technology and product standards for solutions; evaluate and vet considering business (viability), technical (feasibility), consumer (desirability), and go-to-market (execution) factors.
- Standardize and streamline processes to onboard technology that increases the value of underlying assets and optimizes the full P&L.
- Evaluate, select, and implement scalable and sustainable systems and solutions with SMEs to support tech infrastructure, data capture, analytics, and automation.
- Develop KPIs and benchmarking methods to assess performance, effectiveness, and ROI of tech initiatives; track, analyze and communicate key metrics and business trends.
- Devise and execute experiments to test the benefits of various technologies and products.
- Balance strategic and tactical activities to achieve desired short and long-term results.
- Develop a process for quickly evaluating ideas to prove technical and business feasibility.
- Deliver concise, compelling, data driven business recommendations while updating leadership and decision-makers on project status and progress.
- Develop a pipeline of innovation initiatives that address ambiguous business problems.
- Proactively identify and manage technical risks of projects in the innovation pipeline.
- Assess and manage partners and 3rd party vendors to evaluate technical quality and suitability of platforms and identify opportunities for integration and process optimization.
- Lead development activities for multiple work streams, leveraging a multitude of partners.
- Lead on-going solution life-cycle evaluation around ideation, launch, refresh and support.
- Design and lead all mobile and frictionless strategies for the Blackhawks.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in strategy with an emphasis in technology, computer science or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 10+ years of experience in technology and innovation
- Ability to develop and own stakeholder relationships.
- Highly developed sense of ownership and responsibility.
- Thorough understanding of current state and future trends in technology.
- Experience with enterprise-wide tech strategy, automation, and data-focused integration solutions.
- Ability to identify sources of value across business functions to define paths realizing that value.
- Business intuition and expertise with the ability to describe analytical processes.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills with the power to develop creative and efficient solutions.
- Capacity to lead and work collaboratively in a consultative role at all levels of an organization.
- Ability to manage priorities and coordinate tasks to solve daily challenges in a dynamic environment.
- Experience in project management including scope development and productivity monitoring.
- Excellent communication skills with ability to demonstrate clear, concise articulation of scenarios, options, risks, mitigations, and recommendations.
- Adept at communicating complex ideas to non-technical audiences.
- Strong financial and quantitative skills required for preparation of ROIs or technology impact.
- Can share examples of using technology to solve complex problems.
- Fundamental skills preferred: SQL, Python, R, Tableau, PowerPoint, Excel, Qualtrics
- Values: Inclusive, team player, driven, humble, curious, innovative, positive, results-focused, accountable.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.