Last Updated: July 2019
Job Title: Event Security Guard
Department: Arena Operations
Reports To: Manager, Guest Services
Employment Type: Part-Time
Location: BB&T Center
The Event Services Department of the BB&T Center and The Florida Panthers are hiring personable, attentive individuals looking for a part time, event-based job full of excitement. Each position is vital to our operation and we are looking for hardworking, customer-service oriented candidates to fill these positions. Our Event Security team members play a pivotal role in creating a safe environment for our guests from the moment they enter the arena until the moment they depart.
Hours include approximately 15-25 hours per week (hours per week may vary due to event schedule), mostly nights, weekends, and possibly holidays.
- Monitoring of access to restricted areas, exterior doors to the arena, and maintaining a secure environment for our visitors
- Controlling guest & vendor access to the Arena
- Checking credentials to control employee and visitor access to the arena during events
- Inspecting items that do not pass through magnetometers, possibly using a security wand to screen guests for prohibited items
- Monitor and respond to any security issues that may arise during an event
- Provide excellent customer service to enhance the BB&T Center experience
- Escorting of guests when needed
- Follow safety and security policies, programs, and procedures with the ability to manage crisis situations
- Ability to handle radios, speaking openly and professionally demonstrating strong verbal and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively with other employees
- Report any and all incidents to Supervisor or Management
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Valid State of Florida D Security License
- Previous experience in security and customer service is a must
- Exhibit an upbeat, friendly service-oriented attitude, actively looking for ways to help people
- Passion to work with people and willingness to learn
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, written and verbal communication skills
- Assertive, detail-oriented, team player with a professional demeanor
- Self-motivator with the ability to work alone if necessary
- Must have a flexible schedule and be available on weekend/overnights
- Have reliable transportation
- Must pass background check
Customer Service - Manages customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs and requests for service and assistance.
Ethics – Treats coworkers and guests with respect; works with integrity to uphold the values of the organization
Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events
Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems, developing alternative solutions. Works well in group problem solving situations, using reason when dealing with topics
- Attendance Punctuality – To ensure adequate staffing, positive employee morale, and to meet expected productivity standards throughout the organization, employees will be held accountable for adhering to their work schedule
This position works in an arena where the noise level is generally high, crowd traffic is heavy, temperatures are variable – often cold; lights are bright or dark with occasional exposure to flashing lights and pyrotechnics.
Climbing - Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms. Body agility is emphasized. This factor is important if the amount and kind of climbing required exceeds that required for ordinary locomotion.
Balancing - Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling and walking, standing or crouching on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces. This factor is important if the amount of balancing exceeds that needed for ordinary locomotion and maintenance of body equilibrium.
Stooping - Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist. This factor is important if it occurs to a considerable degree and requires full motion of the lower extremities and back muscles.
Kneeling - Bending legs at knee to come to a rest on knee or knees.
Crouching - Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine.
Crawling - Moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet.
Reaching - Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
Standing - Particularly for sustained periods of time.
Walking - Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another.
Pushing - Using upper extremities to press against something with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward.
Pulling - Using upper extremities to exert force in order to draw, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion.
Lifting - Raising objects up to 30 pounds from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position. This factor is important if it occurs to a considerable degree and requires substantial use of upper extremities and back muscles.
Grasping - Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm.
Feeling - Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips.
Talking - Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly.
Hearing - Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction.
Vision - The worker is required to have visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned (i.e., custodial, food services, general laborer, etc.) or to make general observations of facilities or structures (i.e., security guard, inspection, etc.).
Repetitive motion - Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a part-time position. Hours of work are based on event schedule and are mostly nights, weekends and occasional holidays.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.