*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
Last Updated: October 2021
Job Title: VP, Finance/Controller
Reports To: President & CEO
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: FLA Live Arena
The Florida Panthers are a community focused organization lead by an authentic management team that served our country and now serves the South Florida community. The organization is on the rise and is experiencing success both on and off the ice. Lead by new General Manager Bill Zito and three-time champion Head Coach Joel Quenneville the Panthers had their best start in franchise history. Off the ice, the business team is seeing growth across all key metrics including ratings, social engagement and a busy 2022 concert schedule. Meanwhile the organization is expanding outside of the FLA Live Arena and recently purchased the FTL War Memorial in Downtown Fort Lauderdale to build a new practice facility and concert venue.
The VP of Finance/Controller will serve as the leader of our Finance Department, managing accounting records and producing financial reports while leading personnel in Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, and Compliance. The VP, Finance/Controller will work closely with the Executive Team and the National Hockey League to ensure budgets are developed and adhered to. It is especially important that the VP of Finance/Controller collaborates with Panther Insights, our internal business intelligence team, to ensure accurate and timely reporting/tracking across hockey games and concerts. Sunrise Sports & Entertainment (SS&E) has several entities, including Florida Panthers Hockey Club and Arena Operating Company, Inc. The VP of Finance/Controller will not only be responsible for managing the books for each of these entities, but also for future entities as SS&E continues to grow.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Manage accounting records and produce financial reports across several entities under Sunrise Sports & Entertainment, including Hockey Related Revenue audits, so that auditors are able to evaluate the company’s financial statements
- Ensure that financial reports are issued on time, in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), and that they fairly and accurately reflect the company’s current financial position
- Lead the Finance Department, including accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Understand and stay in tune with local, state, and federal tax laws and business regulations that affect the company
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s in Accounting
- CPA license is preferred
- Experience working in professional sports, particularly within the NHL or AHL, is preferred
- Should be extremely organized and detail oriented, with a focus on quality and consistency
- Passion for diversity, inclusion, and equity efforts
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft 365 and NetSuite
- Strong writing skills and professional communication ability
- Excellent inter-personal skills
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic a must. Must have a “team-first” mentality with and eagerness to learn
- Must be able to maintain and abide by organizational confidentiality standards
- Ability to work under fluid deadlines and complete tasks in a timely and efficient manner
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is an Exempt position. Must be able to work flexible hours
At the Florida Panthers, Arena Operating Company, Panthers Ice Den, and Sanza Food Service we strive to make every employee feel valued and respected for who they are and the unique contributions they make. We believe that a diverse and inclusive company is a more innovative and successful company, which is why we aim to infuse diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) into all aspects of our culture and our business. Our approach to DE&I is focused on five key pillars: Employee Engagement; Education; Workforce Diversity, Communications, and Community Impact.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Licenses & CertificationsRequired COVID-19 Vaccination Card