Director, Business Operations- Edmonton Oil Kings
Oilers Entertainment Group
About Oilers Entertainment Group:
Oilers Entertainment Group (“OEG”) delivers leading sports, entertainment and other special event programming to fans and patrons in Canada and the United States. OEG owns the five-time Stanley Cup Champion Edmonton Oilers, the WHL’s three-time Memorial Cup Champion Edmonton Oil Kings, the AHL’s Bakersfield Condors and operates Rogers Place, the new home of the Oilers and Oil Kings, located in ICE District, Canada’s largest mixed-used sports and entertainment development.
Vision: “To be a global leader in Sports and Entertainment”
Mission Statement: “We deliver I Remember Moments by investing in world class talent, committing to service excellence and connecting fans to their passion.”
Reporting directly to the EVP, Revenue, the Director, Business Operations is responsible for leading the brand, communications and business operations activities of the Oil Kings. The Director will also be responsible for liaising and coordinating with the Sales, Service and Partnership departments to ensure that all Edmonton Oil Kings business activities align with overall organizational objectives.
Core Responsibilities and Duties:
Develops brand strategy and brand positioning for Oil Kings
- Works closely with Ticket Sales, Service and Operations departments to deliver brand and product marketing strategies that meet revenue targets
- Liaises with Corporate Partnership department to integrate brand and sponsorship strategies that meet revenue targets
- Responsible for the Annual and Long Term marketing plans and department budgets
- Leads all promotional in game giveaways from procurement to design to dissemination
- Designs and executes campaigns to support retail ticket sales objectives
- Directs the internal creative team to ensure a consistent look and feel among all collateral materials and advertising campaigns
- Oversees delivery of fan experience
- Oversees the fan development strategy and execution.
- Leads all community appearances / player appearance coordination
- Acts as representative of the Oil Kings – representing the Brand in all non-hockey interviews, written notices and publicity requirements as needed
- Creates all radio creative material
- Provides Annual and Long Term marketing plans to senior management.
- Directs Annual and Seasonal Brand Planning
- Develops and manages department budgets
- Prepares regular status reports for executive management
- Liaises with the Off Ice Officials, the team and the League
- Leads game scheduling - working with WHL, Facility, Hockey Operations and Opponents for preseason, regular season and post season scheduling.
- Assists the Governor and General Manager of the Edmonton Oil Kings with all League matters and requirements.
- Acts as the media face for Oil Kings on all non-hockey matters
- Maintains active and engaging relationships will all media outlets (radio, TV and print)
- Leads communication from the team to the League on all non-hockey matters
- Manages official photographer’s schedule (LA Media), photo licensing, photo release, photo achieve management.
Education, Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a business related field combined with other industry specific training and education
- 5+ years of Sports and Entertainment experience
- Experience leading and developing a team
- Priority given to candidates that possess experience with any level of hockey
- Superior written communication skills and ability to communicate verbally to a team and to a larger audience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite of programs: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Excellent relationship building skills dealing with wide array of stakeholders internally and externally
- Strong ability to work with internal groups to create buy-in that leads to group consensus
- Ability to work under time pressures while maintaining a good working attitude
- Communicates effectively, builds employee relationships, and provides support to all key stakeholders to ensure achievement of OEG goals and objectives
- Ability to initiate and identify strategic solutions and increased efficiency opportunities
- Self-motivated planner with strong attention to detail
- Comfortable extended hours; evenings and weekends