Department: Marketing & Content
Reports to: Manager, Digital Media
The Digital Media Assistant is responsible for contributing to the club’s day-to-day development, production and review of public-facing communications and/or stories via the official website. Additionally, this role works closely with the team’s Content department (creative, video, and social media) and Technology team to execute against the Blackhawks’ overall editorial and digital channel strategy.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Produces and/or edits written content for Blackhawks.com and mobile app by serving as:
- Breaking news and game night coverage assistant to the Manager, Digital Media
- Secondary writer for engaging news and team coverage, with potential to contribute larger feature stories
- Copy editor for other content produced by the Content team
- Serves as a copy writer and/or editor for the Marketing & Content team, including copy for marketing newsletters, team publications and promotional material as needed.
- Liaises with Content and Social teams to develop and produce engaging narrative and/or long-form content coming out of practices, home and road games, critical hockey periods (e.g. NHL Draft, free agency, training camp, playoffs) and other special events.
- Sources and formats all written content with photos, videos and related links
- Coordinates live-event coverage and content placement on Blackhawks.com homepage and relevant pages during gameday, practice and other major events
- Maintains public messaging webpages on an ongoing basis, including public practice schedules, injury report, prospect stats, etc.
- May also support Manager, Digital Media, as needed, with day-to-day updates of product and/or initiative pages for supported Business Operations departments, including Marketing & Content, Chicago Blackhawks Foundation & Community, Youth Hockey, Ticketing, Corporate Partnerships, etc.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Degree in Journalism, Marketing, PR, Communications or a related field.
- 1-2 years of relevant work experience (internships included)
- Strong writing and editing skills, including hockey knowledge and/or experience covering a team
- Digital publishing/CMS experience and basic HTML skills
- Knowledge of current digital/social marketing best practices and processes
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality
- Interpersonal skills – listens to others, works well in a team environment
- Excellent communication skills including written and verbal; ability to present ideas clearly and concisely.
- Can prioritize work activities and use time efficiently
- Adaptability – adapts to change in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to handle frequent changes
- Dependability – consistently at work on time, follows instructions, responds to manager’s instructions
- Strong computer skills – including all Microsoft Office software programs and some proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite
- Ability to work extended hours including nights, weekends and holidays, including support of on-call schedule for breaking team news