The Public Relations Manager is responsible for developing and implementing communications programs with a focus on sharing the fan engagement, business and community stories of the organization. Supporting the brand marketing and corporate communications functions, this role is accountable for crafting compelling communications materials and messaging that positively positions the Blackhawks off-ice initiatives (e.g. brand partnerships and events, the Chicago Blackhawks Foundation, off-ice player engagements, special team or arena projects, etc.) and reaches key stakeholder groups including customers and fans, media, third party organizations and employees.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Serve as one of the organization’s primary writers, advising and assisting supported business units – including Marketing & Content, Corporate Partnerships, Ticketing, Retail, Youth Hockey and Community Relations/Chicago Blackhawks Foundation – with communications materials that are consistent with brand storytelling and messaging around club initiatives and launches
- Draft press releases, media advisories, talking points, FAQs and fact sheets – plus, social media and website copy, as needed
- Develop messaging, speaking points and Q&A for executives leading presentations, participating in media interviews or for associates fielding inbound fan questions
- Develop and maintain relationships with sports, business, technology, philanthropy and lifestyle reporters at local and national outlets; manage organization’s off-ice media list/database
- Proactively generate ideas for media outreach and actively pitch media to increase visibility for the Chicago Blackhawks’ business and community efforts
- Monitor and analyze Blackhawks and competitor media coverage, including drafting coverage recaps and other ongoing reports
- Collaborate with team photographer and Blackhawks video production team to identify and provide creative assets to media to enhance coverage
- Partner with internal teams to serve as a liaison with corporate, community and other external partners (arena, government/public affairs, etc.) in aligning and executing brand communications for team partnerships, events, and initiatives
- Collaborate with Chicago Blackhawks Foundation and Community Relations department on corporate purpose programs that maximize PR opportunities and storytelling while making meaningful impact in partnership with key local stakeholders or NHL platforms
- Potential to assist in the planning of major events including activations for Ticketing, Marketing, Chicago Blackhawks Foundation, etc.
- Assist Director of Public Relations with crisis & issues management, as needed
- Write and/or edit major customer- or partner-facing communications materials including season ticketholder emails, ticketholder FAQs, stakeholder newsletters, etc.
- Support internal communications through management of employee intranet (Sharepoint) and other employee-facing channels or newsletters
- Partner with Digital Media function to proof and copy edit marketing emails sent by Blackhawks, Fifth Third Arena and the Blackhawks Store, as needed
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Degree in PR, Marketing, Communications, Journalism or a related field
- 4-6 years of relevant work experience
- Strong writing skills, including proficiency in AP Style, and understanding of local and national media landscapes
- Experience with Cision Communications Cloud or other media monitoring & analysis tool
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality
- Possess a strong executive presence, ability to partner with senior leaders as well as operationalize ideas and best practices
- Interpersonal skills –listens to others, works well in a team environment
- Excellent communication skills including written and verbal; ability to present ideas clearly and concisely
- Can prioritize work activities and use time efficiently
- Adaptability – adapts to change in the work environment, manages competing demands and handle frequent changes
- Dependability – consistently at work on time, follows instructions, responds to manager’s instructions
- Strong computer skills – including all Microsoft Office software programs and some proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite
- Ability to work extended hours including nights, weekends, holidays