2023 USGA Pathways Internship - United States Golf Association (USGA) (Los Angeles · CA)
There are more than two million jobs within the $84 billion golf industry, but only a small fraction are held by those from underrepresented communities. As part of the ongoing effort to address those imbalances, the USGA and The Country Club launched the Lee Elder Internship Program at the U.S. Open in 2022, now called the Pathways Internship Program. The primary mission of the program was to introduce college and graduate school students to the multitude of job opportunities and pathways in the business of golf. With its 2022 success, the USGA is committed to continue the program 2023 U.S. Open at the Los Angeles Country Club (LACC) and advancing long-term change in the golf industry by creating pathways to careers beyond the tee.
The Pathways Program is a one of a kind 10 Day internship, held during the U.S. Open at LACC (June 12-18, 2023 ) and aims to create a behind-the-scenes U.S. Open experience for college and graduate students from underrepresented backgrounds in golf by:
- Exposure to numerous career opportunities within the industry.
- Providing classroom and real-world opportunities to enhance their professional development capabilities.
- Creating networking opportunities with industry leaders in the Los Angeles community.
- Providing career building opportunities with pre-identified segmented championship leaders.
The USGA is a leader in the global golf industry, whose purpose is to unify the game through programs like the World Handicap System, to showcase the best talent in the game through championships, to govern the game to promote fairness for all who play, and to advance the game and golf courses through innovation and science and programs that grow participation.
Components of the program will come to life through the following:
- Leadership and Navigating the Corporate World
- Career Development Sessions
- Industry Leadership Panels
- Community Impact Opportunity
- Professional Networking Opportunities
- ‘On-The-Job-Training” and Shadowing Experiences
- Pathways Pitch Competition
What you bring to the USGA:
- Demonstrated maturity, dependability, integrity, and initiative to learn
- Ability to positively contribute to a work environment that emphasizes teamwork, respect for differences, and accepting and giving constructive feedback
- No prior experience working in golf is required but a demonstration of strong interest in working in sports is preferred.
- Enrolled in an undergraduate (rising sophomore or above) or graduate program at an accredited college or university.
- Dates: June 11 – 18, 2023 (arrival: Saturday, June 10; departure: Monday, June 19)
- This is a paid Internship
- The following will be paid by the USGA:
- If not from the local LA area - roundtrip travel from home airport/train/bus station
- Room and board for the duration of the program
- Meals, snacks and related program expenses
- Intern Uniforms will be provided
- Application Period: December 1, 2022 - February 10, 2023
- Completed applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- The Selection Committee will conduct virtual interviews with the final pool of candidates.
- All final candidates selected will need to submit (1) Letter of Recommendation from an academic or professional reference
- All offers will be extended by Monday, March 20th
About the USGA
The USGA is a nonprofit organization that celebrates, serves and advances the game of golf. Founded in 1894, we conduct many of golf’s premier professional and amateur championships, including the U.S. Open and U.S. Women’s Open. With The R&A, we govern the sport via a global set of playing, equipment, handicapping and amateur status rules. The USGA campus in Liberty Corner, New Jersey, is home to the Association’s Research and Test Center, where science and innovation are fueling a healthy and sustainable game for the future. The campus is also home to the USGA Golf Museum, where we honor the game by curating the world’s most comprehensive archive of golf artifacts. To learn more, visit usga.org.
The United States Golf Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer