We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.
REPORTING TO: Operations Director
EVENT: Shaw Charity Classic | shawcharityclassic.com
COMPANY: Launchpoint Sport & Event Strategies | lpstrategies.ca
LOCATION: Calgary, Alberta
Launchpoint Sport & Event Strategies is an event management and marketing company dedicated to providing. Strategic solutions for organizations, brands and properties that want to make their mark and stay ahead of the. Competition. Our creative and inspired team conceptualizes and produces brand and corporate experiences in addition to providing impactful event consultation, management, and execution expertise. Through our extensive experience and relationships with brand, sport and event properties, and industry experts, we are uniquely positioned to navigate and provide inspired turnkey solutions to our partners. Launchpoint is contracted by various. Event properties to execute events from the planning phase to wrap up. Current events include the Shaw Charity Classic and the 2024 World Speed Skating Championships. Past events that Launchpoint has been involved in include the 2019 Grey Cup Festival and 107th Grey Cup Game, the 2020 GLOW Festival, and the 2020, 2021 and 2022 ISU World Cup Speed Skating (among others).
The Shaw Charity Classic will host some of the greatest names in golf at Canyon Meadows Golf and Country Club, August 14 - 20, 2023. The field, which will consist of 78 stars on the PGA TOUR Champions, will compete for $2.4 million US in a three-round, 54-hole stroke-play tournament. The only PGA TOUR Champions stop in Canada will showcase Calgary to the world through its broadcast on the Golf Channel. Led by a philanthropic Patron Group including Tournament Chairman –Jim Riddell, Allan Markin, Keith MacPhail, Guy Turcotte, Gary Peddle, Michael Culbert and PGA Tour Professional – Stephen Ames, along with title sponsor, Shaw Communications, the Shaw Charity Classic won the PGA TOUR Champions’ prestigious President’s Award in 2014, 2015 and 2017. The tournament has raised more than $93 million in its ten years, with a PGA TOUR Champions record-setting donation of over $17 million raised in 2022 that was distributed amongst 260 youth-based charities in Alberta.
The Operations Assistant will work alongside the Operations Director on various aspects of the tournament.
Primary areas of concentration will include contract fulfillment, site production, inventory management, vendor communications, and event execution. This internship is an excellent opportunity for students who are interested in pursuing a career in sports or event management and want to get a glimpse into varying departments and tasks. Interns will be asked to take ownership of key projects and will gain strong professional experience.
▪ Organize and inventory all tournament-related storage items
▪ Manage and execute caddie bib inventory, golf cart program, tournament deliveries, etc.
▪ Procure and place all necessary orders for tournament supplies in advance of the event
▪ Assist with operations-related administrative tasks such as insurance and contract fulfilment
- Manage tournament signage plan including working with suppliers and onsite install
- Assist with all on-course structure set-up and tear-down
- On-site operations activities, including landscaping, television placement, installation of leaderboards,
- Coordinate all necessary rental items prior to tournament week (trucks, cars, forklifts, trailers, storage,
- Setup rope-and-stake on the golf course for crowd control during the tournament
- Assist with pre-event consultation and planning for venue setup including obtaining quotes,
- negotiating prices and arranging for delivery/removal of service
- Assist all Shaw Charity Classic staff members with shipping and trucking needs including receiving of
- goods and truck unloading while operating Telehandler
- Supervise and coordinate production crews, equipment, and technical needs for various projects
- Work with key on-course Volunteer committees to provide necessary supplies as needed
- Other operational duties as assigned by the Operations Director
A current post-secondary student or a degree in Business, Sport Management or a related field
▪ Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite with good general computer literacy (past office experience is an
▪ Exceptional critical thinking and problem-solving skills
▪ Basic knowledge of golf and golf etiquette
▪ Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently without supervision.
▪ Manual labour and heavy lifting is a part of the job – successful candidate must be in good physical
health. Must also be able to use basic power tools effectively
▪ Good organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
▪ Cheerful presence with excellent interpersonal skills and a high energy level capable of working long
hours and early mornings
▪ Ability to multi-task completing priorities while remaining flexible and calm under pressure.
▪ Must be available all dates from August 7th – August 20th onsite at the Shaw Charity Classic
▪ Telehandler certification an asset, but not required - will train the right candidate
▪ Must have a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
HOURS: Term: Tuesday, May 2nd – Thursday, August 31st, 2023
Hours during May – June are expected to be 40 hours / week
From July 4th – August 6th – anticipate 50+ hours / week
From August 7th - August 20th anticipate 90+ hours / week
From August 21st – August 31st – anticipate 40 hours / week
SALARY: $15.00/ hour + overtime
DEADLINE: February 24th, 2023, 11:59 PM MT
START DATE: May 2nd, 2023