Reporting to the Director of Horticulture, the Horticulture Manager will be accountable for the coordination, implementation and management of daily plant health care programs related to established, new and the treatment of future landscape material. The Horticulture Manager is a hands-on leader that provides clear direction, delegation and assistance to a team of Horticulturists to accomplish their daily tasks and short and long term projects. This role requires extensive knowledge and experience of horticulture practices to ensure our trees and ornamentals meet the world class standard that is synonymous with Augusta National Golf Club, while maintaining the confidentiality of the Club.
Directly supervises employees while carrying out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Club’s policies, procedures and applicable laws. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Essential Functions of the Job
- Accountable for the results of the Horticulture team.
- Manages multiple processes, programs and project, while seeking efficiencies in process improvements.
- Responsible for accomplishing set goals and objectives of projects.
- Responsible for budgeting of projects and programs within Plant Health Care.
- Responsible for forecasting budget and reconciliation for department budget; this includes being accountable for effective payroll allocation.
- Collaborates with colleagues in cross-functional areas to accomplish organizational goals.
- Oversee the performance of routine plant health care including soil testing, soil amendments, and implementation of appropriate care strategies.
- Ensure chemical and fertilizer applications are accurately documented in accordance with departmental guidelines.
- Develop and implement a daily ornamental and tree scout program, and create plant catalogs relative to recording pest and disease cycles, bloom timing, and plant inventories.
- Responsible for managing appropriate inventory levels are maintained for plant health care supplies.
- Ensure that the Plant Health Care staff performs work tasks and operates all equipment in accordance with Club and OSHA guidelines.
- Conduct research and development with appropriate entities relative to horticulture best practices.
- Oversee the annual flower program for the Club season and Tournament; including but not limited to ordering, plant varieties and deliveries.
- Stays informed and researches new products, equipment and services in the horticulture industry, make recommendations to leadership.
- Evaluates products and application techniques to ensure efficiency of plant health care operations.
- Responsible for training and developing direct reports to display behaviors and competencies for current and next role.
- Accountable for the hiring, onboarding, and performance management of the Horticulture team.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs other duties which are deemed by management to be an integral part of the job.
Qualifications (required unless stated otherwise):
- Working knowledge of Word, Excel and Power Point
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Highly developed knowledge of various plant and ornamental varieties
- Advanced knowledge of spray and injection systems
- Knowledge of OSHA guidelines
- Ability to work well under pressure and challenging deadlines
- Organizational, multi-tasking, and planning skills
- Knowledge of GIS and other technologies is preferred
- Knowledge and ability to apply technical horticulture skills
- 5+ years of relevant experience, required
- 2+ years in people leadership position, required
- 2+ years of proven leadership career advancement, required
- Research experience with an experimental design process, is a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Horticulture, Agronomy, Botany, Landscape Architecture or similar field, or the equivalent in relevant experience, required. Masters of Science, strongly preferred.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and/or successfully completes the Club’s internal motor vehicle training program
- The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work for this position is usually performed in a climate-controlled environment. However, the employee may be required to work outside in extreme heat, cold, rain, wind or inclement weather as the demands of the position so dictate.
Projected Work Schedule:
- Normal work hours are 6:30 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Must be available to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to lift up to 50 pounds and frequently required to talk and/or hear. The employee is constantly required to use arms, hands and fingers to handle or lift items and/or drive a golf cart. The employee is constantly required to stand and walk, climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or reach with hands and arms. The employee is also required to have visual acuity to perform an activity such as but not limited to: preparing and analyzing data and figures, visual inspection involving property maintenance, hazards and safety violations, and/or operation of machines or golf carts (including inspection).
Augusta National Golf Club offers*:
- Competitive overall compensation package
- Employee engagement activities and recognition events
- Years of Service awards
- Variety of benefits coverage options
- 401(k) retirement plans
- Pension Plan (paid by employer)
- Wellness Program
- Paid Holidays
*Based upon employee eligibility