ABOUT THE XFL
The new XFL will reimagine football for the 21st century when it kicks off in early 2020. Delivering authentic, high-energy football for the whole family at an affordable price, the XFL will offer fast-paced games with fewer play stoppages and simpler rules. The league will launch with eight teams in markets across the country, 45-man active rosters, and a 10-week regular season schedule with a postseason consisting of two semifinal playoff games and a championship game. The XFL is a single entity that owns the league and all teams, employing professionals at the Stamford, CT headquarters as well as in each of the markets that the teams call home.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Team Marketing Director is responsible for building the fan base, creating breakthrough awareness campaigns, engaging fans across platforms and driving business performance that builds a solid foundation in the year leading up to the first game in early 2020 and beyond.
The Team Marketing Director will work with the Team President and executive staff as well as management at the league office to execute the vision for the XFL and team brand, partnering closely with communications, sales, creative services and consumer insights. This individual will manage a team of high-performing professionals who will work collaboratively across business units to create assets and campaigns, and deliver exceptional results for the team.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Be the steward for the team brand and execute the league’s marketing and business strategy.
- Build and promote the team’s awareness, brand and reputation to develop deep local relationships with fans, local partners and key stakeholders.
- Create and implement creative and innovative advertising, branding and promotional and grassroots campaigns across multiple platforms.
- Be the lead for local insights and research, and market and competitive intelligence.
- Work closely with the league marketing team and internal and external partners to analyze market research and data and make recommendations regarding selling strategy and tactics.
- Plan, purchase, produce and oversee advertising and promotional campaigns to drive brand awareness and fan engagement across all channels (TV, radio, print, digital media, outdoor and social media) and platforms (live events, in-stadium and digital).
- Partner closely with the Director, Ticket Sales and the sales team to ensure that all marketing efforts maximize ticket sales initiatives.
- Work closely with the Sales Team to build strong, mutually-beneficial relationships with key regional entities and local sponsorships in order to maximize cross-promotional opportunities.
- Work closely with the Team Director, Communications and Media Relations, to ensure maximum exposure for the team’s involvement in grassroots marketing efforts, fan/community relations events and social responsibility efforts.
- Partner with the Team Director, Communications and Media Relations to manage influencer, entertainment relations and promotional events with celebrities, city officials, and athletes.
- As needed, build and keep fully staffed street and promotional teams who will help fulfill all of the organization’s grassroots marketing efforts.
- Manage all local fan events and engage fans in interactive and innovative ways (including the gameday experience, on-site activations, digital/social activation and fan promotions).
- Work with production and venue staff to direct the pre-show and day-of-show fan experience.
- Oversee the CRM database for the local team and create and implement the local strategy.
- Own the team marketing budget and deliver against key performance metrics for the Marketing function.
- Responsible for reviewing and approving all communications materials that use the XFL and team brand and marks.
HOW YOU WILL BE MEASURED
- Fan engagement measures including size and growth of fan base, ticket sales, levels of engagement across channels and devices, fan retention and fan referrals.
- KPIs: Brand recognition and public perception measurements.
- Contribution to key revenue lines and delivery of the overall business plan.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING
- 8+ years of marketing management experience with an emphasis in consumer-facing sports, media or entertainment industries.
- Expertise in marketing and digital technology landscape, including industry trends, key industry leaders, terminology and overall knowledge of the sports entertainment and media landscape.
- Understanding of pop culture and the ability to employ it through campaigns, promotions and digital assets with demonstrated impeccable brand judgement, and the ability to generate brand energy.
- Proven ability to execute a strategic marketing plan aimed at growth and closely aligned with the company’s goals and vision.
- Ability to manage complexity and ambiguity, and lead multiple projects in parallel while understanding business challenges and creating forward-thinking solutions.
- Solid understanding of nuances with various local market audiences and viewing habits/engagement across different media and geographies. Specific success in increasing audience viewership.
- Proven success in leading a team, inspiring agencies and developing deep cross-functional and external partnerships.
- Ability to work well with multiple stakeholders across the company, agency and client organizations.
- Demonstrated leadership skills including stakeholder/relationship management, managing relationships and contractual agreements and strong executive presence.
- A self-starter, energetic and resilient with enthusiasm and determination to ensure that deliverables, timelines and objectives are achieved.
- Exceptional communications, sales/promotions and customer service skills.
- Entrepreneurial spirit.
- Superior verbal/written communications skills.
- BS required.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
The XFL maintains a strong policy of equal opportunity in employment. It is our objective to recruit, hire and retain the most qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic or status protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Our equal employment philosophy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, compensation, benefits, training, promotions, transfers, job benefits and terminations.
**Only applicants who are legally authorized to work for The XFL will be considered. The XFL does not provide any work authorization sponsorship, or any assistance in securing, maintaining, or extending work authorization.**