About the XFL
The new XFL will reimagine football for the 21st century when it kicks off in early 2020. Delivering authentic, high-energy football for the whole family at an affordable price, the XFL will offer fast-paced games with fewer play stoppages and simpler rules. The league will launch with eight teams in markets across the country, 45-man active rosters, and a 10-week regular season schedule with a postseason consisting of two semifinal playoff games and a championship game. The XFL is a single entity that owns the league and all teams, employing professionals at the Stamford, CT headquarters as well as in each of the markets that the teams call home.
About the Position
The XFL is seeking a league Marketing Director to build the fan base, create breakthrough awareness and promotional campaigns, engage fans across platforms and drive business performance.
The Marketing Director will report into the SVP, Marketing & Communications and help establish the brand identity for the XFL and the eight teams. This individual will drive attendance, viewership and interaction with fans throughout the entire customer journey.
The position is located in Stamford, CT.
What you will do
- Develop and plan marketing promotions utilizing owned and paid media assets working with the paid media agency and internal digital content teams.
- Apply a rigorous approach to understanding the fan and gaining meaningful data/insights (voice of/understanding the fan).
- Manage the creative agency to develop technology-forward advertising, branding, promotional and grassroots campaigns across multiple platforms.
- Craft and implement effective CRM and retention strategies to maximize engagement with fans throughout the lifecycle and customer journey.
- Plan, purchase, produce and oversee media to drive brand awareness and fan engagement across all channels and platforms.
- Oversee the development and deployment of the XFL League Marketing Calendar in partnership with the 8 teams.
- Create and implement processes, toolkits, style guides and workflows to manage league and team-by-team brand and campaign assets.
- Lead marketing and promotional plans to drive fan attendance to tentpole events (e.g. XFL Draft, kickoff, post, playoff and championship game).
- Manage league fan events, engaging fans in innovative ways (brand experience, fan promotions, on-site activations, music & video projects and digital/social interaction).
- Develop partnerships with agencies, designers, other creative resources and external businesses as needed to advance the brand, and to build assets and campaigns.
- Facilitate development of strategic influencer-related activities to grow the XFL’s image and popularity in mainstream culture.
- Work with teams on local community relations events and activities.
- Attract, develop and retain world-class marketing talent. Be an inspirational leader.
- Oversee budgets and deliver against key performance metrics for marketing functions.
How you will be measured
- Fan engagement measures including size and growth of fan base, ticket sales, levels of engagement across channels and devices, fan retention and fan referrals.
- KPIs: Brand recognition and public perception measurements.
- Contribution to key revenue lines and delivery of the overall business plan.
What you will bring
- 8+ years of marketing management experience with an emphasis on consumer-facing sports, media or entertainment industries.
- Candidate must exhibit a passion for sports, marketing and football.
- Understand how sports league(s) and teams work to determine optimal workflows and processes.
- Expertise in marketing and digital technology landscape including industry trends, key industry leaders, terminology and overall knowledge of the sports entertainment and media landscape.
- Brand builder and impeccable brand judgement.
- Familiar with CRM and content management system software; Sailthru a plus.
- Proven ability to develop and execute a strategic marketing plan aimed at growth, and closely aligned with the company’s goals and vision.
- Ability to manage complexity, ambiguity and lead multiple projects in parallel while understanding business challenges and creating forward-thinking solutions.
- Demonstrate knowledge and a passion for the influencer universe on all social channels and ability to generate brand energy in pop culture.
- Solid understanding of nuances with various local market audiences and viewing habits/engagement across different media and geographies.
- Superior leadership skills; demonstrated ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports, agency partners and peers.
- Strong strategic ability, analytical skills and bias for action.
- BA/BS from top undergraduate university with degree in marketing, communications or a related field.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The XFL maintains a strong policy of equal opportunity in employment. It is our objective to recruit, hire and retain the most qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic or status protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Our equal employment philosophy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, compensation, benefits, training, promotions, transfers, job benefits and terminations.
**Only applicants who are legally authorized to work for The XFL will be considered. The XFL does not provide any work authorization sponsorship, or any assistance in securing, maintaining, or extending work authorization.**