Team Director, Communications & Media Relations with XFL in Tampa , FL
Sports Jobs in Tampa , FL
Communications/Community Relations: Corporate Communications
ABOUT THE XFL
The new XFL will reimagine football for the 21st century when it kicks off in early 2020. Delivering authentic, high-energy football for the whole family at an affordable price, the XFL will offer fast-paced games with fewer play stoppages and simpler rules. The league will launch with eight teams in markets across the country, 45-man active rosters, and a 10-week regular season schedule with a postseason consisting of two semifinal playoff games and a championship game. The XFL is a single entity that owns the league and all teams, employing professionals at the Stamford, CT headquarters as well as in each of the markets that the teams call home.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Team Director, Communications & Media Relations will be responsible for developing and implementing a communications and media relations strategy on a local and regional level that builds a solid foundation in the year leading up to the first game in early 2020 and beyond. The Team Director will proactively cultivate relationships with the media and local influencers, and drive opportunities to increase league, team and player visibility in their local market. He/she will leverage consumer and trade communications, public relations and marketing initiatives across all media, digital and social platforms.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
DRIVE MEDIA RELATIONS
- Foster positive, reciprocal relationships with media as main point of contact on behalf of team in the year leading up to kickoff and beyond.
- Leverage XFL programs, current events, players, fans, employees, community, philanthropy and special events to develop opportunities for storytelling.
- Manage and execute the coordination of player/staff interviews at training camp, media days, game days, at appearances and other events.
- Monitor daily media coverage in print, radio, television and social media channels, and keep Team President and League SVP of Communications and Media Relations informed on a timely basis.
CLEAR AND CONSISTENT COMMUNICATIONS
- Work closely with Team President and League SVP Communications and Media Relations to coordinate consistent, on-brand messaging that creates engagement with the community and relevant stakeholders/constituents.
- Support the League SVP of Marketing to drive the XFL brand through consistent and clear messaging across local and regional consumer, trade media, and corporate marketing/communications plans.
- Explore, evaluate and act upon multiple strategies in support of marketing programs to increase the XFL’s fan base and viewership.
GAME DAY MEDIA OPERATIONS
- Prepare game day credential requests, media kits, presentations and other material as required.
- Write, develop, produce and distribute team materials, game notes, weekly updates, statistics/records, media guide and all other communications collateral necessary for game day.
- Oversee press box and game day media operations while servicing the home and visiting media, and supervise game day staff of statisticians, runners and interns.
- Manage game day player appearances, media interviews and/or photo shoots.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING
- BS/BA required and 5+ years of experience in corporate communications, public relations or marketing roles with specific experience in the sports, media and/or entertainment industries.
- Strong knowledge of the local sports, entertainment and media landscape.
- Knowledge of pop culture and trends with the ability to bring them to marketing campaigns and promotional plans.
- Solid relationships with relevant media contacts across all mediums.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including creative approaches to internal and external marketing and communications platforms.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with excellent project management skills, while exercising flexibility and adaptability to change.
- A self-starter, energetic and resilient leader with enthusiasm and determination to ensure consistent achievement of deliverables, timelines and objectives across multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to travel and flexible to work nights, weekends and holidays.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
The XFL maintains a strong policy of equal opportunity in employment. It is our objective to recruit, hire and retain the most qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic or status protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Our equal employment philosophy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, compensation, benefits, training, promotions, transfers, job benefits and terminations.
**Only applicants who are legally authorized to work for The XFL will be considered. The XFL does not provide any work authorization sponsorship, or any assistance in securing, maintaining, or extending work authorization.**
How did you hear about this job?