Business and Internal Communications Manager - Houston Texans (Houston · TX)
Houston Texans jobs
Sports Jobs in Houston · TX
Communications/Community Relations: Corporate Communications
Title: Business and Internal Communications Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Director of Communications
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Director of Communications
- Bachelor's degree in Communications or related field from a four-year accredited college or university required.
- Minimum of five (5) years of full-time business or internal communications experience.
- Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office software applications.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks in a high-energy environment.
- Superb verbal and written (technical, creative and persuasive) communication skills, as well as editing and proofreading experience.
- Display strong interpersonal skills and the ability to create and maintain solid working relationships at all levels across the organization and externally.
- Possess excellent attention to detail and an ability to produce high-quality, accurate work within designated deadlines.
- Ability to maintain confidential and/or proprietary information.
- Decision making capabilities on significant matters, including budget development and allocation, resource expenditure, staffing levels and policies and procedure.
- Ability and internal drive to demonstrate a positive, winning attitude and a strong work ethic in the performance of all job responsibilities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work both in a team and independently.
- Ability to exercise excellent research skills in order to communicate accurately and authoritatively on a subject.
- Working knowledge of Associated Press (AP) writing style for press releases.
- Ability to think creatively in order to identify new and different ways to promote a business, individual, initiative, etc.
- Fluency in Spanish not required, but preferred.
Basic Function: Manage the day-to-day media relation activities for the Club from non-sports perspective and Lone Star Sports & Entertainment (“LSSE”) in all public and media relations aspects, as well as internal communications efforts
Job Function (duties and responsibilities):
- Business Communications
- Perform as primary communications department contact for all Business Operations personnel.
- Actively participate in non-football publicity initiatives by developing a year-round public relations plan to enhance the Club brand and image in the non-sports media community.
- Write news releases regarding community relations, ticketing and marketing events to be provided internally and to local/regional media.
- Attend events or programs as they pertain to the Club brand. Pitch long-term stories to local and national publications regarding our business, marketing and community outreach efforts. Perform as main contact for team talent (i.e. cheerleaders and mascot) publicity, accompanying talent to certain events/appearances, with goal of gaining coverage and awareness for program’s impact.
- Serve as the primary contact for media on community relations outreach events or initiatives spreading the story of the Texans in the community and the Houston Texans Foundation’s Champions for Youth efforts Work closely Director of Communications to establish public relations relationships with Spanish language media.
- Lead efforts to establish and maintain strong relationship with the Club’s corporate sponsors to drive stories that will enhance the Club’s brand and local and national news coverage.
- Maintain strong relationships with Houston-area morning and lifestyle shows on TV, radio and digital channels (talent and producers), as well as community print and online publications.
- Support marketing department’s efforts to receive earned media and support influencer engagement.
- Work cross-departmentally to develop dynamic content and storytelling that informs stakeholders through methods such as:
- internal/external media outlets, emails or other electronic media, videos, podcasts, print and digital communication, etc.
- Work cross-departmentally to understand how the Communications Department can help each entity reach their business objectives.
- Work with Club leadership to develop and execute comprehensive internal communications plans and strategies to drive employee engagement and ensure clear understanding of vision throughout all messages.
- Work cross-departmentally to understand their communications needs and ensure consistent messaging to all stakeholders, ensuring standardized approach and common/consistent language inside the organization and to the public.
- Lead efforts to earn individual and business-oriented recognition and awards on a local, regional and national level.
- Develop, train, and monitor business and non-football media spokespersons, writing talking points and creating clarity on priorities and messaging.
- Support all department with copy-editing and proofreading service aiming to create consistent tone and messaging for internal and public-facing communication
Lone Star Sports and Entertainment
- Serve as the lead public relations contact for all LSSE events.
- Attend and actively participate in all LSSE events.
- Establish a media tour for all LSSE events (Bowl game, college games, soccer matches and concerts) to support ticket sales.
- Act as the Director of Communications for the Bowl game.
- Maintain the history on previous events.
- Manage Sports Systems Credentials for all Texans home games and all LSSE events. Assist with Football Communications needs as requested.
- Maintain the Club’s public relations measurement plan and send reports out on a weekly basis.
- Create and maintain extensive database of local and national media contacts.
- Proofread and approve all printed materials sent out by the department.
- Maintain the budget for the media tracking elements.
- Establish an outreach program with local colleges and universities sports information departments and business management schools to cultivate our internship program.
- Clearly communicate with rest of department how they can support the success of Business, Internal and LSSE communications.
- Subject to reasonable accommodations, position requires routine face-to-face personal interaction with other Club personnel; therefore, job responsibilities must be physically performed in the Club offices and not in a telecommuting manner.
Travel Requirements: Occasional domestic travel to non-sports Club events that require the presence of a public relations representative.
We encourage candidates provide all requested information, including a resume, so the application can be thoroughly reviewed.
Please note that while resumes of all candidates will be considered, as a way for the Texans organization to acknowledge and reciprocate the tremendous support given the Team by local fans and the local community in general, qualified candidates with permanent addresses in the Houston metropolitan and surrounding areas will be given first consideration whenever possible.
If your skills and experience match our available position requirements, a Human Resources representative will contact you directly. Due to the volume of resumes received by the Houston Texans, we are unable to provide updates on the status of individual applications.
The Houston Texans organization is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.