The Senior Legal Counsel, Corporate Governance and Compliance at Hall of Fame Village powered by Johnson Controls (the “Destination”), part of the publicly traded Hall of Fame Resort & Entertainment Company (the “Company” / NASDAQ: HOFV, HOFVW), will support the Company on a wide range of corporate governance and compliance matters, including assistance with the Company’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”), preparation for Board of Directors meetings, financial transactions, and various enterprise compliance programs. This position will report directly to our General Counsel at the Hall of Fame Resort & Entertainment Company.
This position will be responsible for duties as assigned by the General Counsel. The Senior Legal Counsel, Corporate Governance and Compliance will:
- Assist with the preparation and review of the Company’s SEC filings, including periodic reports, current reports, proxy statements, Section 16 filings, securities offerings, and other related filings.
- Provide support to the Board of Directors and its Committees in the areas of public disclosures, applicable law, corporate governance and policies, oversight responsibilities, executive compensation and other public company obligations and best practices.
- Assist with the drafting and filing of the Company’s annual proxy statement and advise on the Company’s annual report and shareholder meeting.
- Provide legal support and guidance with respect to executive compensation, as well as equity plan administration and trading windows.
- Provide legal support to the Corporate Secretary, including the drafting, preparation and review of Board of Directors and Committee meeting materials and minutes.
- Collaborate and provide legal guidance on external communications such as earnings releases, press releases, investor presentations and marketing materials, and the Company’s website.
- Provide legal support for the maintenance of the Company’s subsidiaries and for corporate transactions, including debt or equity transactions undertaken by the Company.
- Partner with Information Technology and other areas of the business to help ensure compliance with data privacy and consumer protection laws and regulations, and adherence to the Company’s records retention program.
- Monitor and maintain awareness of pending regulations and developments that are relevant to the Company, particularly relating to corporate governance and public company matters, as well as evolving areas of the Company’s business.
- Review company policies and practices on a regular basis to ensure that all are in compliance with required laws and regulations.
- Recommend corporate policies and strategies that promote the Company’s goals while complying with laws and regulations.
- Plan and conduct complex legal assignments, necessitating ability to evaluate matters that may have a major bearing on the conduct of the Company's business.
- Contribute with analysis, research, identification, and communication of key legal and regulatory issues that could promote or harm the Company’s business initiatives and develop pragmatic mitigation strategies.
- Provide legal support for other commercial contract review, as requested by the General Counsel.
The ideal candidate would possess the following qualities:
- The ability to read, analyze and interpret complex legal and business documents.
- The ability to respond discretely and effectively to sensitive inquiries.
- The ability to define problems, collect and analyze complex data and conflicting viewpoints, establish facts and draw valid conclusions, as well as make strategic decisions and persuasive arguments.
- Demonstrate sound and practical business judgment, ability to think strategically, and desire to establish a “trusted advisor” relationship with colleagues, executives, and key business partners.
- Exceptional organizational skills, with the ability to handle multiple, high priority projects with keen attention to detail.
- The ability to multi-task and autonomously manage multiple work streams at one time.
- The ability to work effectively and independently in a fast-paced environment that demands a high degree of collaboration, flexibility, and responsiveness.
- The ability to take and execute direction.
Vision and Strategic Thinking: Sets and champions a clear future direction. Addresses issues to sustain competitive edge and maintain market dominance. Anticipates needs and priorities.
Entrepreneurship: Champions innovation and encourages new ideas. Builds momentum to get things done by communicating clearly and consistently. Acts decisively. Helps others to successfully manage organizational change. Recognizes successes and informed risk-taking.
Integrity: Is ethical and honest in all dealings. Keeps confidences and is highly responsible in managing strictly confidential information. Treats others fairly and equitably. Delivers what is promised. Is respected by others.
Accountability for Results: Sets goals and high standards to accomplish these goals. Follows through on all commitments. Has a sense of direction and keeps focused, but knows when to be flexible and adapts accordingly. Maintains a positive attitude despite stress, frustration and ambiguity; recovers quickly from disappointments and setbacks. Questions how things were done in order to develop ways to do things more efficiently. Encourages diverse thought and welcomes contributions.
Relationship Management/Collaboration: Builds, maintains and values positive relationships inside and outside the organization. Allocates effort to understanding and meeting needs of customers and targeted prospects, The NFL, Pro Football Hall of Famers, and community leaders. Assists others in accomplishing their goals. Communicates effectively and speaks and writes clearly. Listens and values contributions of others.
Learning Agility: Learns technology, new systems, and processes to improve job proficiency. Inspires and encourages others to learn and grow in their careers.
Coaching and Development: Encourages and inspires employees’ development and long-term career growth. Conveys high expectations for others. Regularly provides helpful guidance and advice.
Execution: Ability to take plans and execute against them to implement profitable outcomes for the company.
Qualifications, Required Knowledge, Skills, & Experience:
- J.D. required. Admitted to practice in one or more states, preferably including Ohio. If not admitted in Ohio, must be able to qualify for Corporate Attorney Status in Ohio.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in public company corporate and securities law in a law firm or corporate environment.
- Team player with sound commercial and legal judgment, and strong analytical skills.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- High level of initiative, integrity, organizational skills, and ability to work autonomously.
- Comfortable engaging with senior executives across a host of disciplines and business verticals.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends as necessary.
- Must be available to work in Canton, Ohio.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.