Overview: Under the direction of the Commissioner of the Arena Football League, the Director, Legal Affairs provides legal coordination and support to the management and employees of the League on matters within the office, with member teams and with the Arena Football League Players Union.
- Reviews and provides preliminary comments on a broad variety of legal agreements and instruments that come into the League Office.
- Day-to-day management of AFL legal and compliance matters, including, but not limited to matters relating to: Football Operations, Finance, Litigation, Workers' Compensation, Corporate Compliance, State and Federal Compliance, Intellectual Property, Labor Law, and Employment Law.
- Act as the AFL’s legal representative with its employees, players, coaches, partners, vendors, contractors, outside counsel, insurance companies, and agents.
- Draft, review, revise, and negotiate a wide variety of legal documents and agreements, including, but not limited to: membership agreements, settlement agreements, NDAs, motions, briefs, position statements, licensing agreements, leases, and sponsorship agreements including providing advice on interpretation of certain clauses in such agreements regarding legal sufficiency and business compliance.
- Coordinates all insurance requirements for inclusion in necessary contracts and agreements with outside insurance brokers to assure compliance and protect the organization from any form of risk and liability.
- Representative for the League with the Arena Football League Players Association (AFLPU).
- Represent the League at arbitrations with AFLPU.
- Provides advice to the Commissioner and AFL teams regarding the terms of and compliance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement
- Provides advice and assists in negotiating the terms of AFL expansion
- Respond to requests, complaints, or grievances filed by AFLPU.
- Monitor the use of the AFL’s intellectual property.
- Manage outside counsel as necessary including but not limited to coordinating data collection for legal cases resulting from incidents occurring within the umbrella of the Arena Football League; monitors litigation being handled by outside counsel; makes reports to the Commissioner on financial exposure of the company on such claims arising out of incidents/accidents involving the Arena Football League and its team members.
- Perform legal research and participate in special projects as requested.
- Keep current on industry-wide legal trends and developments to proactively counsel business units and manage legal exposure.
- Apply established legal principles and sound judgment to manage risk throughout the organization.
- Other such related duties as may be required
- Prepares managers and necessary employees for discovery phase of litigation including, depositions, interrogatories, internal incident reports, and general witness preparation.
- Informs Commissioner of regulatory guidelines for securing of any necessary business licenses or occupancy permits required by entities doing business with the Arena Football League. When needed, obtains such necessary business documents, coordinates retrieval of such required documents inside the organization as well as necessary signatures, fees, etc. interacts and coordinates with appropriate Government Agencies to assure proper filing of such documents has occurred
- Responds to various regulatory or administrative claims arising within the organization and makes preliminary reports to the Commissioner on the status of such claims.
- Provides advice to the Commissioner on ways to resolve disputes short of litigation
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Law degree and admission to the bar.
- At least 3 years as a Generalist in a legal setting or a corporate/law firm environment.
- Knowledge of contract law, litigation, labor law, tort law, collections law, corporate organizations, and real estate and construction licenses.
- Excellent writing and communication skills required. Strong negotiation and persuasion skills needed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.