*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
NCSA is seeking a VP, Software Engineering who aspires to be one of the most impactful technology leaders in sports and education.
The Vice President of Software Engineering helps change the lives of student-athletes and their families by developing the team and the software to help them identify, prepare, and optimize their path to college. With nearly two solid years of investment remediating technical debt and modernizing our cloud environment, we are looking for an engineering leader to drive the next iteration of our platform towards greater scalability and resilience. We need someone to build the cultural and methodological bridges between the current and future state.
This is an opportunity to have a meaningful impact on the engineering organization of a company with a unique position in youth athletics, college sports and the social graph that defines recruiting outcomes. It is a growth-stage role, suited for a leader who has learned from experience how to build engineering as both a discipline and set of organizational capabilities. You will be in the driver's seat, staying close to the technology while working on building the Engineering team’s talent and capabilities. This requires a unique blend of strategic acumen, software development skills, and the communicative ability with the goal of increasing the organization’s technical leverage.
Reporting to the CTO, the VP Software Engineering is a key member of the Technology Leadership team. The role shepherds the organization as we prepare for a new stage of ambitious growth through product development and the construction of a robust data ecosystem across IMG Academy and Endeavor. Working closely with Platform Development and Product leaders to understand and influence the product strategy and roadmap, the VP will lead a team of engineering managers and senior individual contributors to plan, build, maintain and operate the first integrated technology platform at IMG Academy. With an inclusive, team-oriented, ‘live the values’ culture, we are still small enough for a single individual to have a dramatic impact, but big enough to provide the resources needed to scale. We have a lot of data, a lot of talented people who love helping student-athletes succeed, and a treasure trove of interesting problems to solve.
What You Will Do:
- Give the team a compelling vision of what they can become, and a narrative that guides them there, and communicate that outward as a beacon for recruiting top-level engineering talent.
- Attract engineering directors and principal engineers to collaborate on translating that vision into long-term direction and tangible initiatives in architecture, methodology and talent development.
- Lead the Engineering team by example, showing you share their risks and rewards, respect diverse perspectives, and making them feel valued, supported by leadership invested in their growth.
- Establish the vision, strategy, architecture and implementation for the full technology stack and its constituent platforms, products, systems, and applications in a roadmap shared by technical leaders.
- Provide clear objectives and goals in the development of IMGA’s platform components and products, using feedback and coaching to develop the team’s technical and communication skills.
- Foster an inclusive, collaborative, and generative culture in which our core values of curiosity, transparency and trust prevail, where it is safe to fail, and experimentation is rewarded.
- Drive the organization towards delivering core functionality in a reusable, scalable and performant fashion using SOLID and 12-Factor Application design principles by evangelizing with examples.
- Partner with Product and Technology leadership to map individual efforts, team initiatives, and higher-level plans to platform and product strategies driven by the company’s strategic goals.
- Ensure the team works cooperatively, has a clear sense of autonomy, mastery and purpose, and articulates its needs for achieving the team’s and the company’s success.
- Prepare to grow the team over the next three years, by iterating on team structure, ensuring team members develop skills, and attracting new talent, with a focus on long-term engineering scale.
- Assess the organization's engineering methods, tool selection, development strategy and roadmap. Work with senior leaders and critical independent contributors across the company to identify opportunities to increase the value of our software.
- Work with Platform Development and Product leaders to define architectural and business requirements, guide product and platform vision, lead strategic technical and design discussions, and prioritize work in an Agile environment.
- Partner with Portfolio Management and Platform Development leadership to co-author and iterate on a methodological curriculum, driving adoption with consensus-building, collaborative decision-making paired with a bias-to-action leadership style.
Who You Are:
- You have built, developed and scaled successful, self-sustaining engineering teams with a comprehensive set of talent development practices in recruiting, training, support and coaching.
- You lead by example with open, transparent management practices for clear communication, collaboration, and continuous improvement, across strategy, planning, execution, and delivery.
- You thrive as a technical leader and mentor for your team and can teach senior engineering managers and practitioners a well-developed set of techniques for coaching teams towards instituting sustainable Software Engineering practices, including but not limited to test-driven development, code review, separation of concerns, and modular, domain-driven design.
- You have successfully defined a vision for multiple major products or platforms encompassing both business and technical concerns, communicating that that vision to cross-functional teams, engaging their willing participation in its realization, and guiding the team in adapting the vision to change.
- You have entrepreneurial, experimental and growth mindset for building software products and solutions, strong cross-functional facilitation and motivation skills, a bias for action, the ability to make hard calls, and most importantly, can balance a portfolio of short-term and long-term bets.
- You enjoy combining strategic impact with senior leadership and day-to-day optimization of the team’s work, health, and development, solving gnarly issues with critical analysis and judgment while staying close to the action to ensure your team and the people your team depends on have mutual understanding of each other’s needs, capacity, and priorities.
- You have not only a deep understanding of developing and deploying applications in cloud-based platforms, infrastructure, and distributed systems, but an understanding of their acute limitations.
- You have expertise in determining how to adapt patterns for managing large and complex data sets in a variety of datastores and formats for both operational, analytical and data science use cases.
- You have designed, built, and optimized API frameworks using REST or GraphQL at scale.
- You have deep expertise in at least one category of frameworks, e.g. Front-End (React, Vue), Data Processing (Spark, Airflow, Kafka), Infrastructure (k8s, Terraform) or equivalent.
- You are an active listener and make certain all voices are heard. You understand the importance of fairness, consensus-building, and gaining willing participation of dissenters.
- You are not concerned by problems but view them as opportunities for learning, seeking always find a way through. You expect ambiguity, anticipate eventualities and bring clarity with a sense of calm.
- You have 10+ years’ experience scaling software engineering teams in cross-functional collaboration with other leaders in a fast-paced environment, during periods of growth and change, including 5+ years managing engineering managers in team of at least 25+ people.
About Next College Student Athlete (NCSA):
Next College Student Athlete is the leading athletic recruiting and path-to-college solutions provider in the U.S. With a history of strong double-digit organic growth, NCSA occupies a commanding position at the center of a growing $25 billion U.S. youth athletics market. Acquired by Endeavor Corporation (NYSE:EDR) in 2021, NCSA and its sibling company IMG Academy are focused on building an ecosystem of physical and digital experiences that empower student athletes to reach their potential and improve their lives. With a reach exceeding 100 million student-athletes, parents and coaches, 150+ strategic partners and 900+ universities as clients, NCSA is broadly recognized as the leader in its field. More importantly, our team has a deep appreciation for the transformative power of sports. Our leadership is actively investing in the growth of the organization as NCSA continues to broaden and deepen its technology platform and team in pursuit of its vision for empowering youth sports and path-to-college.
National Collegiate Scouting Association, LLC is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, citizenship status, uniform service member status, age, disability, sexual and gender orientation, genetic information or any other protected status in accordance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Endeavor is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.