In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen.
*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. JOB ID 53792*About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world’s leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
At UC Berkeley, we believe that learning is a fundamental part of working, and our goal is for everyone on the Berkeley campus to feel supported and equipped to realize their full potential. We actively support this by providing all of our staff employees with at least 80 hours (10 days) of paid time per year to engage in professional development activities. Departmental Overview
The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in the various sports programs annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). We are currently seeking a Director of Basketball Operations & Player Development who will work within the department’s Men’s Basketball program. Responsibilities
This position will aid and facilitate the operation of the Men’s Basketball program and the development of the Men’s Basketball student-athlete. This position will serve as a program liaison to other University and Department and use a holistic approach to serve as a mentor to the Men’s Basketball student-athletes in all areas outside of basketball.
- Serves as a “go-to” and liaison between the coaches and campus/department staff as it relates to the program and the holistic development of its student-athletes.
- Oversees all day-to-day operations.
- Prepares, maintains and manages the program’s operating budget year-round.
- Coordinates with respective units across the department to assist student-athletes with scheduling classes, obtaining financial aid, coordinating community service programming, etc.
- Works with coaching staff and administration to curate game schedule in accordance with the goals of the program. Requires coordination & communication with Pac-12 Conference office.
- Assists in the preparation and management of all team travel needs.
- Works with team equipment manager to ensure that all team equipment needs are taken care of – including, but not limited to, game & practice uniforms, workout apparel, footwear and other needs at the request of the Head Coach.
- At the request of the coaching staff, will be responsible for acquiring and analyzing scouting video of potential student-athletes and opponents.
- Aids in the overall academic mission of the University and Department through the coordination of the academics for the student-athletes, including coordination with Athletic Study Center.
- Ensures that all team operations are compliant with University, Pac-12 Conference, and NCAA policies and procedures.
- Collaborates with marketing & social/digital media teams to strategize on promotional efforts.
- Helps organize and coordinate housing for student-athletes. Oversees the team managers for the program. Assists with various aspects of on-campus recruiting as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.4+ years of experience working in NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball program.
- In-depth understanding of basketball concepts (i.e., offensive & defensive schemes, player tendencies, etc.) and an ability to breakdown and analyze a team’s style of play based on film & analytical data.
- Understanding of all NCAA recruiting rules and regulations.
- Previous experience working with academic support services for student-athletes.
- Outstanding problem-solving skills, an ability to multi-task and work with frequent interruptions in a dynamic setting, and an effective listener.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be proficient in the use of basic computer applications.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks within demanding timeframes.
- Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality. Ability to use sound judgment in responding to issues and concerns.
- Master’s degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Experience working in a Power 5 Men’s Basketball Program.
- Knowledge of applicable Pac-12 and NCAA rules and regulations