*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
When applying, please indicate job #25255. Please include a cover letter, resume, and three references submitted as a single attachment with your application.
The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in the various sports programs annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). We are currently seeking an Associate Director, Alumni Relations who will work within the department’s development unit.
The Cal Athletics Fund is the fundraising and alumni relations arm of UC Berkeley’s Intercollegiate Athletics Department, Cal Athletics. We are responsible for raising philanthropic dollars to support the student-athletes, coaches, and programs for the department.
Under the supervision of the Assistant Athletics Director, Annual Giving & Alumni Relations, this position will support that mission by working to form and maintain a strong student-athlete alumni network. A successful network will allow the department to maintain contact with its main constituents after they graduate from Cal, keeping them involved with the school and programs they attended and were a part of. This position will be responsible for growing the network and keeping it engaged with current events and initiatives at Cal, with the ultimate goal of increasing student-athlete alumni philanthropy back to the department.
- Develops and implements programs, events and/or communication strategies designed to reach, serve and engage external constituencies through programs, events, products, and services not primarily related to fundraising.
- Partner with other alumni based programs and units at Cal (such as the Cameron Institute, Big C Society, University Development Alumni Relations, California Alumni Association, ProBears, etc.) and coordinate programs and strategies around student-athlete alumni engagement.
- Operate various programs and events to keep student-athlete alumni engaged with Cal, such as alumni reunions, viewing parties, student-athlete development opportunities
- Translates constituent needs and priorities into customized programs to create, enhance, and sustain relationships between the campus and its external constituencies.
- Work with other development staff, particularly development officers, on cultivation of former alumni with the potential to give. Make at least 10-15 substantive contacts per month with an emphasis on quality personal visits, and have 2-5 handoffs per month to development officers with ultimate goal of increasing student-athlete alumni giving.
- Maintain database and network of student-athlete alumni. This will include securing contact information as seniors graduate and leave Cal, keeping up to date information on alumni, and maintaining student-athlete alumni cards.
- May research various topics and gather relevant data to inform unit strategic plans, keeping management informed as necessary and providing input as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent training/experience.
- Proven experience in alumni, donor, and community engagement and relations.
- Thorough knowledge of basic concepts, principles, and procedures of building and maintaining effective relations with internal and external constituencies.
- Skill in project management, including event planning and meeting deadlines. Ability to oversee multiple projects and quickly discern complex and competing interests.
- Skills to implement and execute programs including skills to achieve predetermined goals and objectives within budget and time constraints.
- Excellent research, organizational, analytical and critical thinking skills, including sound judgment and decision-making skills and skill to correctly identifying real and potential problems, advising management as required, and proposing effective strategic resolutions.
- Skills to analyze, evaluate and improve programs/services.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team oriented environment and collaborate on projects and assignments.
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work across multiple databases and CRM systems.
- Ability to travel and attend weekend and evening events.
- Skill to maintain confidentiality.
- Understanding of the unique nature of collegiate athletics alumni relations.
- Working knowledge of the institution, its mission, vision, goals, achievements, policies, and infrastructure preferred.
- Knowledge and understanding of applicable NCAA and Pac-12 Conference rules and regulations.