The Air Force Academy Athletics Corporation is searching for an Accounting Director. The Accounting Director is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing the overall operation for all AFAAC financial activities including, but not limited to, accounting and reporting for general and restricted funds. The Director protects the best interest of AFAAC in Non-Cooperative Agreement accounting matters and ensures compliance with applicable federal and state laws and the policies of the AFAAC.
- In conjunction with the Audit/Budget and Procurement Directors, lead the day-to-day financial operations of the Business Affairs Office.
- Oversee the handling and recording of all financial activities.
- Responsible for directing, training and supervising of the accounting staff.
- Serves as the primary point of contact for all AFAAC staff in relation to the ERP system.
- Communicate with department heads regarding questions on financial activities.
- Responsible for the customer, vendor and employee records within the ERP system.
- Ensure accounting staff completes financial activities and tax returns (UBIT, IFTA, sales tax, excise tax returns) correctly and timely.
- Approval of all multi-fund accounting transactions.
- Expenditure approval as defined by policy limits, policy and procedure recommendations.
- Responsible for the reconciliations of financial activities.
- In collaboration with the CFO and Audit/Budget Director, develops, writes and updates policies and procedures recommending improvements as necessary and/or required by regulation changes from the Federal Government, State, NCAA or best practices.
- Ensure internal controls are followed and addressed with the appropriate personnel when weaknesses are identified.
- Prepares monthly financial reports for sports and support units.
- Prepares the financial and performance reports for Leadership and the Board of Directors.
- Completes financial information for state charitable solicitation renewals.
- Annually review Form 1099s.
- Lead in the closing of the books annually and soft closings quarterly.
- Understand the CA and 2 CFR 200 and know how to account for the activities impacted by these guidance and regulations.
- Responsible for directing and training of the accounting staff specific to CA and 2 CFR 200.
- Management of CA funds through the accounting system, and maintenance of all accounting data
- Prepares financial and performance reports for Grants Officer and government grants team.
- Prepares the annual NCAA Revenue & Expense reporting.
- Trains AFAAC staff to include familiarity with company policies and 2 CFR 200 (Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards).
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Salary Range: $75,000 - $80,000
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business management or related field.
- CPA or Master’s degree in Business Administration (M.B.A.) degree preferred.
- Experience with government grants is highly desired.
- Experience in college or professional athletics is preferred.
- 5+ years’ experience working with or for a nonprofit organization or college athletic department in the area of accounting (experience with both entities a plus).
- 3+ years’ experience in a supervisory position in the area of accounting.
- Knowledge and experience using and analyzing fund accounting.
- Understanding of internal control processes and segregation of duties.
- Must be personable, a self-starter, organized, able to manage workload during heavy busy periods and ability to work well with individuals that have strong personalities.
- Must have strong computer skills, including proficient in using Microsoft Office Suite and ERP systems.
- Experience using Intacct a plus.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S. and successfully pass a background check.
- Participation in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program is a requirement for all full-time employees of the Air Force Academy Athletic Corporation (AFAAC).
The AFAAC is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization that supports and manages all of the Air Force Academy's athletics fundraising programs while also providing assistance with coaching, recruiting, ticketing, logistics and sports conference objectives. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status