Vice President of Basketball Communication & Media Relations - Pacers Sports & Entertainment (Indianapolis · IN)
Pacers Sports & Entertainment jobs
Sports Jobs in Indianapolis · IN
Communications/Community Relations: Media/Public Relations Servicing
The VP of Basketball Communication & Media Relations is responsible for leading and directing media relations and strategic public relations efforts for the Indiana Pacers basketball team. This position will be responsible for ensuring key national and local media relationships are developed, maintained, and enhanced, and creatively execute other ways to proactively promote both the players’ and the team’s storylines.
We are looking for someone who can think creatively and strategically with the ability to see the big picture while executing details and “rolling up their sleeves”. An ideal candidate can multi-task, effectively perform with limited timelines, and thrive in a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment. This individual will need to be adaptable, collaborate with people at all levels in the company, build and grow media outlet relationships in both the traditional sports and lifestyle outlets.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop overall public relations strategy and messaging for the Indiana Pacers basketball team.
- Serve as the primary spokesperson for Indiana Pacers basketball team matters in consultation with Team President, as well as serve as the primary contact for all team and league communication with players, coaches, and the front office.
- Manage and lead all outgoing messaging for the team and assist front office with day-to-day updates that are notable storylines pertinent to team and league.
- Build and execute a proactive team and player pitch plan that delivers storytelling and content building around the team.
- Collaborate with PSE marketing and digital teams to enhance and amplify player brands and team storylines through social outlets and other non-traditional sports mediums.
- Coordinate messaging with the PSE communications director around team community activities and other franchise events as needed.
- Maintain and enhance relationships with media partners including national, regional, and local outlets.
- Lead and manage a staff of two full-time employees.
- Oversee game day statistician crew; manage game day media and ensure photography policies and procedures are followed.
- Conduct a thorough needs assessment to analyze gaps and unfilled needs in the department.
- Collaborate with other media relations professionals in the NBA to gain a deeper understanding of building a successfully media / PR team for the future.
- Expected to work a flexible and varied schedule including events and games on evenings, weekends and some holidays. Must be available to respond in the event of a crisis as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A) from a four-year college or university required. Master’s degree in related communications field is a plus.
- 10+ years of experience in public and relations required, preferably with much of that experience in sports or a related industry. This position must be well connected and have a positive track record and strong relationships in all levels of sports and lifestyle media.
- Prior experience leading a team of employees required. Passionate about mentorship and professional development with a desire to develop team members to grow and do more in their roles.
Outstanding communication skills required (both verbal and written). Ability to read, analyze, and interpret instructions and reports. Ability to write reports, press releases and correspondence. Ability to think strategically and work effectively in stressful situations. Ability to effectively present information, speak publicly, respond and communicate to questions from the media, and other key business and community leaders and executives. Demonstrated leadership experience coupled with the ability to delegate responsibilities and authority while at the same time teach and develop staff. Excellent interpersonal skills and a real desire to work alongside people.
The employee should have a solid understanding of Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Microsoft Office.
Knowledge to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as analyzing costs, developing budgets and sales projections, and figuring statistics.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw conclusions. Ability to think strategically and understand and evaluate situations on all levels, communicate/articulate pros and cons of various options and implement solutions effectively.
PROBLEM SOLVING REQUIREMENTS:
This position requires a strategic problem solver who can develop a communications plan, then frame and implement that plan successfully. Employee must use discretion in working with the public and media/key community contacts. Employee’s work must be done on a timely basis and meet the many timelines required in this job. Demonstrated creativity and flexibility in the development of innovative and effective communications plans required.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, move heavy objects, use a computer, use a 10-key calculator, use a telephone, speak, hear, and write.
While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the office work environment is usually moderate and the noise level in the Fieldhouse / game environment is usually loud. The stress level may become high during certain times of the year.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.
How did you hear about this job?