In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen.
Internship Term: Spring 2024 (January - April)
Internship Location: On-Site in Indianapolis, IN
Anticipated Time Commitment: approximately 40 hours per week
Pacers Sports & Entertainment is seeking a Basketball Analytics Intern who will work directly with the Indiana Pacers analytics team in support of the front office, training staff, and coaching staff. The overall focus will be on helping develop internal software tools and maintaining current analytics infrastructure. Experience in the sports industry is not required, but applicants must be passionate about basketball.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop internal software tools for use by the front office and coaching staff.
- Gather, clean, store, manage, and integrate data from a variety of sources.
- Assist in the creation of both standardized reports and ad-hoc analyses.
- Maintain and extend our existing analytics infrastructure.
- Innovate across all aspects of basketball operations including but not limited to coaching, scouting, and performance analytics.
- Collaborate on team projects and work autonomously on individual work.
- Communicate results to the basketball operations staff through presentations, written reports, and tools.
- Assist with compiling statistics/data and reporting for the Indiana Pacers and Fort Wayne Mad Ants.
- Assisting with game night responsibilities as needed.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Enrolled in a college or university program as a junior, senior, or graduate student.
- Demonstrated data programming experience (R, Python, SQL).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerBI).
- Experience with statistical analysis and machine learning techniques (eg, regression/modeling, clustering, hypothesis testing, categorical data analysis), commonly used statistics packages in R or Python, data visualization, and data collection methods.
- Strong organizational skills with a robust attention to detail in regards both to checking data and visual presentation of deliverables.
- Highly motivated and dependable.
- Experience with large data sets.
- Interest in basketball and familiarity with basketball terminology and analytics is a plus.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Strong knowledge of Microsoft Windows, MS Office, R or Python, as well as the ability to a learn and utilize new computer programs quickly and efficiently.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret directions and technical diagrams.
PROBLEM SOLVING REQUIREMENTS:
Ability to deal with various internal and external constituents to solve problems and deliver projects on time with accuracy, professionalism and with outstanding customer service.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, use a computer, use a telephone, speak, hear, and write.
While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the office work environment is usually moderate and the noise level in the Fieldhouse / game environment is usually loud. The stress level may become high during certain times of the year.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, marital status, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.