Assistant Athletic Trainer
Atlanta, Georgia USA
OTE is seeking to hire a certified athletic trainer or dual qualified AT/PT to take an assistant role in Sports Medicine. The successful applicant will take an active role in all phases of the sports medicine program and will assist the team sports medicine, performance and operation staff in the overall running of their departments and the daily operation of their jobs. The primary responsibilities will include care for acute and chronic injuries and ensuring that the training and competition environments are as safe as possible. The Assistant Athletic Trainer will work closely with other Health & Performance staff (Physical Therapists, Strength & Conditioning Coaches) to make decisions on return to play following an injury and will be responsible for providing support to coaches during practice and competition.
Core focuses of the role will be:
- Work to develop and assist in the implementation of a player development and performance medical program. The program will be a comprehensive, holistic development tool to optimize the athletic development of young elite athletes and will focus on injury risk reduction and safe return to play programs utilizing the diverse expertise available.
- Interface with the player management system (data collection and analysis).
- Using education, technology and contemporary methodology that helps keep players safe and injury free.
- This role reports to the Head Athletic Trainer & Director of Health Performance & Development, and liaises with coaching staff. Candidates must be available to travel, including international travel.
Key Responsibility Areas:
- Ensure that all medical protocols and required certifications are in accordance with prevailing high-school, university, G-League and NBA protocols.
- Communication and collaboration on all player care activities with Head Athletic Trainer and affiliated medical doctor as required.
- Coordination and assistance in all treatment, rehabilitation, or recovery sessions as requested by players or VP of Health Performance & Development .
- Daily documentation of all treatment, rehabilitation, or recovery sessions in team and electronic medical records.
- Practice and game player preparation and courtside management, including all games and practices and variable events.
- Completion of all specific tasks delegated to you by the Director of Health Performance & Development in a timely and efficient manner.
- High quality, professional and thorough service across all aspects of your general responsibilities.
- Create, track, and maintain all testing protocols when possible following NCAA and NBA guidelines for COVID-19.
- Provide day-to-day administrative support for the team as it related to office management, testing, communication and tracking.
- Provide support and guidance to elite player development, manage performance and sports science programs.
- Partner and collaborate with strength and conditioning operations, assisting in the management of budgets and staffing/project plans.
- Identify the latest sports medicine research and make recommendations for the integration of these findings into working practices across all aspects of OTE.
- Support basketball operations in the management of health and performance testing.
- Support ongoing sports science and performance research that is relevant to OTE players.
- Collate and development of health-related youth basketball guidelines.
A minimum of 2 years of experience working in sports medicine programs for elite athletes (specifically with elite basketball or professional players preferred). Demonstrated track record of working with high-level coaching staff and other performance specialists with a focus on developing age and skill-level appropriate programs for athletes. Excellent sports science-related education, training and experience to manage and support performance and elite development initiatives. Strong communication skills and the ability to build positive working relationships across departments and organizations. An understanding of player health needs and the necessary safety precautions to prevent injury and other health conditions. Demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of emergency action plans for training sites. Candidates should have experience with elite academies, elite collegiate teams, and/or professional teams, particularly basketball teams. Deep understanding of the state-of-the-art technology surrounding athletic performance is preferred.
- Experience as a Certified Athletic Trainer in a team sport environment
- Bachelor’s / Master’s degree in Athletic Training
- NATABOC Certification and/or eligible for Athletic Training Licensure in State of Texas
- Valid driver’s license
- First Aid and CPR certification
- Strong operational ability with an attention to detail
- Experience working in a dynamic team environment
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Strong work ethic
- Must be punctual and accountable every day
- Must be trustworthy and have a positive attitude
- Ability to communicate with medical, performance, technical, equipment, and administration staff
- Excellent email and telephone communication skills
- Requires weekend and holiday work, 40+ hours/week and travel.
- 3+ year(s) experience in NCAA Division I or professional sport setting
- Additional credentials and experience such as: CSCS, SCS, CES, PES, etc.
Bachelor's degree required in relevant discipline; advanced degree in Sports medicine or a related field preferred
We Consider Applicants For All Positions On The Basis Of Merit, Qualifications And Business Needs, And Without Regard To Race, Color, National Origin, Religion, Sex, Gender Identity, Age, Disability, Alienage Or Citizenship Status, Ancestry, Marital Status, Creed, Genetic Predisposition Or Carrier Status, Sexual Orientation, Veteran Status, Familial Status, Status As A Victim Of Domestic Violence Or Any Other Status Or Characteristic Protected By Applicable Federal, State, Or Local Law.