Under the supervision of Medical Director and in collaboration with the Lead Physical Therapist / Athletic Trainer and Aces coaching staff, the Performance Coach supports the overall health and performance program for the WNBA Las Vegas Aces. This is accomplished by providing programming and coaching for injury prevention, performance optimization, recovery, guidance and education on proper nutrition for players while in and out of WNBA season.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Design and implement performance training and conditioning programs in-season and off-season in a manner that reflects research driven practices and the Las Vegas Aces overall health and performance system.
- Work in cooperation with the sports medicine staff in the rehabilitation and strengthening of injured athletes.
- Facilitate a collaborative relationship among sports medicine team, coaching staff and performance staff.
- Design and implement policies and procedures for the performance program in accordance with company standards and guidelines.
- Develop systems for tracking athlete attendance and athlete progress in conjunction with the medical team and coaching staff.
- Maintains a personal health and fitness lifestyle consistent with company guidelines.
- Conduct an annual needs-analysis for the team in conjunction with the medical team and coaching staff at the conclusion of each sport season.
- Determine and reinforce expectations for athlete conduct that mirror the Aces expectations, as stated in Players Handbook.
- Successfully completes training and educational courses as required, including but not limited to Las Vegas Aces performance center state of the art testing, treatment and training equipment.
- Assist in the implementation of pre-season and post season player physicals per WNBA and Las Vegas Aces standards.
- Daily collaboration with medical team regarding player medical and performance status updates and communication with Las Vegas Aces coaching staff in-season and during off-season.
- Assist in overseeing medical and performance intern staff, including recruitment for these positions.
- Performance center and arena facility training equipment inventory, ordering and maintenance.
- Assist medical director in the development of the teams performance budget.
- Record keeping and documentation: including, but not limited to WNBA electronic medical records (EMR program).
- Assist in player assessment recommendations for draft and trades with Las Vegas medical team.
- Assist equipment manager with duties related to player health & performance.
- Travel with team as designated by medical director.
- Professional development in off season to support Las Vegas Aces health and performance plan.
ADDITIONAL PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES RELATED TO ACES PRACTICE FACLILITY:
- Provide performance services to athletes outside of the WNBA Las Vegas Aces.
- Provide performance services to events held within the Aces practice facility.
- Provide support to community with professional educational programming.
- Provide support for college internships and residency programs.
- Assist Las Vegas Aces business operations team in the off season as needed, serving as a liaison for the health and performance team.
- B.S. in exercise science, kinesiology, nutrition or human performance required.
- Preferred M.S. in exercise science, kinesiology, nutrition or human performance.
- Current standard first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), and automated external defibrillation (AED) certifications.
- A strong working knowledge and teaching skills in analysis and techniques of performance training.
- Experience and/or expertise in performance training for professional athletes.
- Strong motivational abilities.
- Evidence of ability to interact positively with professional athletes, colleagues, and the public.
- Evidence of strong organizational skills and effective oral and written communication skills.
- 5+ years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
LICENSES, CERTIFIACTIONS AND REGISTRATIONS:
- CSCS from the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA).
- SCCC from the Collegiate Strength and Conditioning Coaches Association (CSCCa).
- USA Weightlifting (USAW) level 1 or Sports Performance Coach.
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist, International Sports Sciences Association.
- National Council on Strength and Fitness (NCSF) – CSC.
- National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM)- Performance Enhancement Specialist (PES).
- Current CPR certification.
- Current AED certification.
- All C.E.U.’s and certifications must be kept current.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Basic computer skills, excel and performance software preferred.
- Must be willing to obtain certifications as defined by company policy.
- Experience in designing and implementing performance programs and collaborating with other professionals.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.