The Philadelphia 76ers is one of the most storied franchises in American sports, led by one of the industry’s most decorated and well-respected sports business executives in CEO Scott O’Neil. The Sixers have attracted the industry’s top leadership talent from the NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB, MLS, and NCAA, resulting in one of the most exciting, rewarding, and dynamic work environments within the entire sports industry. The Sixers offer an energetic working environment built on collaboration, growth, and a quest to excel in everything we do.
Philadelphia 76ers, L.P. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Position Summary: the Developer will assist the Philadelphia 76ers front office, supporting basketball decision-making at all levels: front office, coaching, scouting, sports science, training. A successful applicant will have a very strong technical foundation and be passionate about better understanding the game of basketball. This position will report to Alex Rucker, Vice President - Analytics and Strategy.
The 76ers Analytics and Strategy team is responsible for leveraging multiple large and complex data sets. The Developer will possess a strong technical foundation in programming - Engineering or Computer Science backgrounds are favored. Our tight-knit front office team relies on exceptional individuals who can contribute in multiple areas. These individuals thrive in a critical, challenging, dynamic environment.
The successful applicant will:
o be a critical thinker, eager to both give and receive feedback
o have a growth mentality, eager to learn and develop within our team
o be team-oriented, focused on team results not individual accomplishment
o embrace a dynamic, changing, diversified workload
o possess a deep passion for basketball
QUALIFICATIONS (educational, experience and basic knowledge requirements):
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in technical discipline (computer science, engineering, etc)
- Training in and experience with computer programming (ideally Python)
- Experience working with data at a computational level: database design and data engineering
- Interest and familiarity with data analysis and machine learning concept
- Demonstrated passion for basketball and familiarity with basketball rules and terminology
Additionally, the following will be highly valued:
- Training and/or experience in data visualization
- Training and/or experience in data analysis and machine learning
- Experience with very large data sets
- Training and/or experience in API development and front-end development (ReactJS)