The Community Relations Director will assist the Vice President of Community Relations with the development and implementation of the Rockets Give Back strategic programs, including community initiatives and outreach goals of the team’s Clutch City Foundation.
- Work with Vice President in developing short-term and long-term strategic plans for the Rockets community outreach that enhance and build the organization’s profile.
- Lead, manage, develop, and expand the community relations team.
- Serve as Rockets Give Back liaison in the community by developing relationships with key stakeholders, i.e., non-profits, school districts, city and county officials.
- Research issues, causes and initiatives related to community relations activities.
- Create and implement a comprehensive, effective measurement system to track and evaluate community programs.
- Provide updates on all community relations initiatives and ensure the successful implementation of all League programs within the local community.
- Drive cross functional collaboration across the organization to identify and evaluate revenue and brand storytelling that return value to the franchise.
- Work effectively with the communications team to help promote community outreach programing.
- Provide input on social media, web content, calendars and other communication materials pertaining to community programs and events.
- Work closely with video and digital teams in producing content related to community programming.
- Conduct oversight of charitable donation program.
- Organize Rockets executive leadership to be involved on boards and speaking engagements.
- Serve as a resource/consultant with players and their family foundations in implementing programs in the Houston market.
Staff Management Duties
- Other duties include planning, assigning and directing work, assessing performance.
- Assist with the development and management of the Rockets Give Back annual budget.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in nonprofit, community relations, or a related field.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A Community Relations position in sports is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability in proactive problem-solving, strategic thinking, creative resourcefulness, prioritizing and meeting deadlines, balancing concurrent projects, and exercising good judgment.
- Excellent organization, communication, and composure to adapt to changing deadlines
- A genuine passion for community service, and a broad knowledge of non-profit organizations.
- Keen attention to detail, problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Ability to multitask, remain organized and demonstrate a high level of initiative and energy both individually and as a team member within a fast-paced and performance-based environment.
- Possess an uncompromised ability to protect the confidentiality/privacy of others and company documents and records.
- Able to contribute to and build a healthy, productive work environment with positive relationships, and follow through on duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL & MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
- The employee is regularly required to stand, sit, walk, use handle or feel, reach, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, communicate with others.
- The vision requirement includes the ability to review written and electronic materials in both digital and physical format.
- The employee must be able to transfer and move items for departmental needs.
- The employee must be able to adjust to changing work hours and locations as needed in light of the strong focus on external communications and relationships.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.