Job Title: Gate Screener
Reports to: Event Security Supervisor
The Milwaukee Bucks are looking for dedciated people who embrace diversity, equity & inclusion in a workplace where everyone feels valued and inspired.
It all begins with outstanding talent, It all begins with YOU! #FearTheDeer
What We Offer:
- Mental Health Resources
- On-the-job Training
- Milwaukee Bucks and NBA League Discounts
- Employer Paid Parking
The Mag Officer and Gate Screener will ensure the safety of our guests and employees; control the access of people and items to the Center; monitor, screen and inspect all guests entering the Center to and prevent the entry of prohibited items such as weapons and ensure that safety is maintained; use walk-through metal detectors, hand wanders and flashlight probes to detect prohibited items; demonstrate a professional and courteous demeanor at all times and maintain the highest standards of customer service.
This role has union representation by MASH.
- Welcome guests, provide assistance and direction for arena services, and answer any questions guests may have; interact with Center guests in a courteous and professional manner
- Regulate and control access to the Center and monitor guest flow through screening checkpoints to ensure order and efficiency
- Instruct guests about entering the building, removing items, and the baskets for personal items; ensure that no personal items are left behind
- Effectively screen guests and their belongings for prohibited items and prevent the entry of prohibited items such as firearms; monitor guests as they walk through the metal detectors; monitor/read the Control panel (magnetometer) to identify the location of any prohibited items or objects that warrant further investigation
- Inspect equipment, bags and all other items that are carried into the Center; use a hand-held detection tool to detect weapons and other prohibited items on guests
- Perform hand-held wand searches of guests who have triggered machine alarms or are unable to pass through metal detectors
- Successfully present issues and information, orally and in writing, in a clear and credible manner; complete a written incident report if requested
- Alert management of safety concerns within the Center; identify and quickly respond to emergencies, including assisting with evacuations, according to emergency protocol
- Enforce all Center rules and regulations
- Attend pre-event and other staff meetings and training sessions; perform other duties as assigned.
Working knowledge of customer service basics to provide friendly, courteous and efficient service; knowledge of crowd management and conflict resolution techniques; knowledge of applicable fire, safety and other emergency requirements. Knowledge of Center facilities and operations sufficient to respond to general inquiries from guests. Requires skill in both verbal and written communication, in observing situations and decision making.
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow policies & procedures
- Ability to learn and operate basic security equipment such as walk-through metal detectors and hand wands at screening checkpoints
- Ability to hear the walk-through metal detector alarm
- Physical agility to conduct hand wanding of guests from head to toe
- Ability to work effectively with large crowds and handle difficult guest/event situations
- Ability to interact effectively and calmly with angry or emotional guests and/or employees during intensely aggravated circumstances.
- Ability to effectively manage crises and work under pressure without loss of composure.
- Ability to make routine decisions in areas of responsibility and take proper action or, when appropriate, to refer problems to a Gate Security Supervisor.
- Ability to present an appropriate appearance, with a manner conducive to generating a positive response from persons of any age and status
- Ability to read, understand and process routine information in written form
- Ability to maintain a commitment to the Company’s goals and objectives
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, and the public
- Ability to communicate effectively and clearly with guests, supervisors, co-workers and building tenants
- Ability to maintain composure, exhibit maturity and discretion in establishing and maintaining good relations with Center guests
- Ability to display initiative and to perform tasks with limited supervision
- Ability to work effectively on a team
- Ability to maintain patron, employee, and company confidentiality
High school diploma or GED. Previous experience working with the public and prior customer service experience required. Experience with crowd control at a major sports venue preferred. Candidate must be willing to work a flexible schedule, including nights, weekends and holidays as dictated by the event calendar. Must be willing to work outside in a variety of environmental conditions (heat, cold, humidity, high wind, snow, or rain).
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is routinely required to walk, stand for extended periods. Incumbent may be required to lift and carry items weighing up to 25 pounds. Incumbent may occasionally be required to sprint or run short distances.
Some lifting, reaching, stooping, balancing and/or crouching may be required. The employee may occasionally be required to exert up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
Visual and audio acuity are required for resolving customer service issues. Incumbent is required to have sufficient hearing ability to perceive information at normal spoken word levels. The employee has continuous contact with the public.
This position may be subjected to adverse conditions, including possible contact from hostile people. The employee is routinely required to work with others to accomplish joint projects and to work alone on their own tasks.
The employee is frequently subject to noise sufficient to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level. The incumbent may be exposed to a variety of environmental conditions (heat, cold, humidity, high wind, snow, or rain).
When working indoors, lighting and temperature are generally adequate. The individual filling this position must be willing to adjust their work hours based on the needs of the department and must have excellent attendance and punctuality. Hours of work will vary and can include nights, weekends and holidays as required.
Disclaimer: The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employee(s) within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
All offers for employment with the Milwaukee Bucks are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check and drug screening. We will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state, and Federal laws.
The Milwaukee Bucks is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Ethnic Minority/Women/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.
We provide our employees with a robust employee benefits plan that focuses on the mental and physical wellness of our team. We strive to offer a flexible work environment that allows our team members to be productive in both their work and home lives.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.