The Dallas Mavericks are currently seeking a Omni-Channel Retail Merchandise Buyer .
The Dallas Mavericks Omni-Channel Retail Merchandise Buyer will be responsible for handling all purchases for arena, e-commerce and external merchandise locations. The Omni-Channel Retail Merchandise Buyer plans, purchases, communicates, and controls merchandising, pricing, and marketing strategies for assigned lines of business as required; in addition, maximizing sales, profits, and increasing brand exposure that does not compete with promotional merchandise. They must have an exceptional understanding of profitability, gross margin, product lifecycle, sell-through, assortment planning, category planning, and sales forecasting concepts. The Omni-Channel Retail Merchandise Buyer will report directly to the VP of Merchandise & Brand Identity and will work closely with the Promotional Merchandise Buyer. They will provide merchandise presentations, manage relationships with a wide range of approved vendors, manage quality control, and any other retail merchandise schedule needs. They will maintain inventory levels, manage the open-to-buy, and essentially manage all retail merchandise buying day-to-day functions. They will act and perform in accordance with the Dallas Mavericks mission, vision, branding and philosophy.
We are looking for someone prepared to work in a fast-paced team environment but driven to take the initiative to succeed when presented with individual work responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Develop a strategic merchandise assortment plan for multiple retail locations, including all arena locations, mobile bus and e-commerce
- Build strong product assortment presentations with suppliers while negotiating pricing, delivery schedules and shipping methods
- Provide financial forecasting, pricing, marketing and develop seasonal merchandise plans for merchandise buys
- Monitor item sell-through and place reorders as needed.
- Analyze vendor profitability and product margins.
- Balance departmental budgets and manage merchandise open-to-buy
- Manage the selection and bidding process of new and existing suppliers, and have the ability to negotiate contracts with support and approval from VP
- Maintain positive, honest relationships with suppliers, internal and external customers and all merchandise support staff
- Integrate our brand, sourcing, marketing and retail supply chain functions into the merchandise process to make intelligent, savvy business decisions
- When applicable outside of NBA licensees, evaluate suppliers based off our company values, new and existing products, including protected category vendors, quality, pricing, shipping methods, customer demand and ROI
- Attends trade shows and conferences to research new industry trends, processes and products
- Identify items to maximize marketing strategies in order to determine lifecycle of each item while providing input in creating exit strategy and inventory aging standards
- Train, coach and develop potential assistant buyers and merchandising interns
- Ability to recognize, analyze & quantify market and fashion trends
- Work with the merchandising and digital marketing teams on promotional planning, digital marketing planning, creative and the execution of high-level internet marketing strategies consistent with brand image.
- Work with digital marketing team to develop multi-channel marketing strategies (e-mail, social, direct mail, beacons) in support of tickets, corporate, community and other internal departments
- Assist in the planning of the promotional calendar based upon key product/categories, co-op opportunities, marketing themes, and web analytics results.
- Execute creative vision and design representative of overall brand strategy
- Prioritize and work on several projects at a time
- Will work all 41 Dallas Mavericks home games + pre-season games unless otherwise specified by VP of Merchandise & Brand Identity.
- Support all arena and e-commerce retail functions, including but not limited to, working with arena merchandising staff, all merchandise warehouse processes, monthly inventory, store set ups, training, re-merchandising of all locations, and off-site merchandise events including Mavs Mobile Shop and pop-up shop locations.
- Assure Dallas Mavericks purchases align and uphold with Dallas Mavericks Compliance & Brand Standards including vendor specifics, partners, clients and NBA regulations
- Attend external Dallas Mavericks off-site events for marketing support
- Maintain and develop positive working relationships with NBA employees.
The above listing of essential and periodic functions is not an inclusive listing of all duties that may be required to be performed. These duties and responsibilities may change at any time.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and communicate at all levels, both inside and outside the organization, accept / makes changes due to constructive feedback and must be a team player.
- Must have an exceptional understanding of profitability, gross margin, product life cycle, sell-through, assortment planning, category planning, and sales forecasting concepts.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to evaluate, create, and manage an open-to-buy, inventory levels and budget, then take appropriate actions to drive for results.
- Ability to take complex data from multiple sources, analyze, and create new reports or tools as needed to help with department projects.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of buying & operations gained through progressive buying experience in a gridded (sized) and non-sized business.
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills with a passion for using numerical data to identify and communicate critical, actionable insights to key stakeholders.
- Preferred knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and graphic design concepts
- Ability to take initiative and think creatively of ways to grow our brand's presence in the marketplace, but not compete with other financially astute extensions of business
- Must be self-motivated and a self-starter; quick learner for a multifaceted business and able to take initiative.
- Must be solution oriented in order to respond to the everchanging needs of the business.
- Must possess strong organizational, project management and problem-solving skills with multi-tasking abilities in a fast-paced corporate environment, with ability to handle deadlines.
- Arrive early and work late if necessary - often product launches, deliveries or processes will happen at midnight or after hours
- Understand and follow posted work rules, procedures and company code of ethics
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree required (Bachelor’s degree in Retail Buying, Business Marketing, Merchandising or related field is preferred)
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in omni-channel merchandise buying and assortment planning for brick & mortar and e-commerce is required.
- Experience in product selection, merchandising, and business analysis
- Experience in creating and managing an open-to-buy
- Proven track record of increasing revenue and profit within a merchandise buying environment
- Proven ability to work effectively cross functionally with marketing, internal departments, external approved vendors and suppliers to drive marketing initiatives forward
- Creativity in maximizing tight budgets and limited resources will be instrumental to your success
- A hands-on self-starter, with a can-do positive attitude, willing to roll up their sleeves to do whatever it takes to get the job done, and a strong work ethic will also be essential.
- This role requires an exceptional blend of qualitative and quantitative analytical skills, open-to-buy management, purchasing knowledge and excellent computer skills
- Advanced excel skills required
This is an active office position which requires the Omni-Channel Retail Merchandise Buyer to have the ability to operate computer equipment, speak, hear, bend, stoop, reach, lift, and move and carry up to 25 lbs. Finger dexterity is necessary.