SUMMER ACADEMY COACH - Washington Nationals (WASHINGTON · DC)
Washington Nationals jobs
Sports Jobs in WASHINGTON · DC
Communications/Community Relations: Community Relations
*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
The Summer Academy Coach, Youth Baseball Academy is responsible for the supervision of scholar-athletes, baseball/softball-specific skill instruction, providing a safe environment, and serving as a positive role model for all scholar-athletes. The Summer Academy Coach will work directly with scholar-athletes, Enrichment Coordinators, as well as Baseball/Softball Coordinators, and will receive support from the Manager, Baseball/Softball Operations, Program Manager(s), and other staff as needed. In addition to overseeing mealtime activities and field trips off campus, the Summer Academy Coach’s primary responsibility will be implementing the baseball/softball and physical fitness programming for a group of 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th grade scholar-athletes. The Summer Academy Coach will also interact with the Academy’s entire scholar-athlete population and their families.
The Summer Academy Coach is expected to be at the Academy for summer programming during the hours of 7:30am to 4:30pm Monday through Friday. The Summer Academy Coach will also be expected to attend mandatory training and professional development programs provided by the Academy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Instruct daily baseball/softball and other predetermined physical activities
- Monitor and assist scholar-athletes during meal time, other programming activities, and transitions between activities
- Participate in all field trips and summer outings to and from the Academy
- Coordinate with Baseball/Softball Coordinators for daily logistics and baseball/softball specific plans
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Required: High school diploma and pursuing a college degree with 2+ years of baseball/softball coaching experience.
- Preferred: 1+ years of relevant youth development experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
- Preferred: Demonstrated youth development experience
- Required: Ability to lead a group of children by giving instruction in field settings
- Required: Demonstrate the ability to be prepared and organized for every program day
- Required: Basic knowledge of baseball/softball rules with some coaching experience
- Preferred: Deep knowledge and experience of baseball/softball rules
- Required: Demonstrated experience and emotional commitment to working with youth and families in a low-income, urban community
- Required: Commitment to achieving the articulated objectives of the Academy for scholar-athletes, staff, and the community at-large
- Required: Demonstrated leadership and motivational skills
- Required: Embody the qualities of a strong role model for the Academy’s scholar-athletes
- Required: Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Required: Uphold Core Values: Excellence, Performance, and Accountability. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best guest experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits themselves to these core values so that we can constantly move forward in the same direction – Together.
Field: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a Summer Academy Coach encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The Summer Academy Coach will be subject to inside and outside environmental conditions and will be exposed to inclement weather of varying degrees. Job requires the Summer Academy Coach to function in a high activity sports venue. While performing the duties of this job, the Summer Academy Coach is regularly required to stand for long periods of time, run, jump, and climb up/down stairs.