Staff Accountant - Washington Nationals (WASHINGTON · DC)
Washington Nationals jobs
Sports Jobs in WASHINGTON · DC
Accounting and Finance: Accounting/Finance other
*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
The Financial Accountant Analyst will report to the Director, Financial Reporting, and will work collaboratively with the Senior Accountant in performing a variety of general accounting duties and financial analysis. The focus of the position will be financial analysis, budget to actual reporting, proforma preparation and special projects with support in analyzing and reconciling activity for various merchant and software platforms. The position will also enter transactions into Great Plains and maintain accounting records for all work done in an orderly functional manner primarily related to revenue related accounts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare and maintain Revenue Worksheets – gather various revenue support documents daily and update the revenue worksheets on a daily and monthly basis. This includes ticketing, parking, concessions, programs, etc.
- Reconcile daily merchant account settlements to bank activity.
- Serve as the Finance point person and liaise with the Business Strategy and Analytics Department to ensure data management is accurate across various software platforms and consistent with accounting records. Software platforms include but are not limited to ticketing, customer loyalty, merchant processing and electronic payment systems. Identify areas for improvement and implement improvements to the processes.
- Reconcile weekly all Tickets.com Settlements (Nationals, Concert and Miscellaneous) with the weekly activity – report any disparities. Ensure that weekly Tickets.com activity results reconcile with cash, check, and credit card activity. Reconcile ticket activity daily, monthly and YTD. Track Trade and Sponsorship Ticket Banks.
- Report on any charge-backs or returned checks, assist in collection efforts and gain understanding of the Accounts Receivable area as it relates to ticketing.
- Provide support in analyzing and reconciling activity for various merchant and software platforms such as FIS (credit card processing) and Fortress (eCash and loaded value).
- Maintain general ledgers, recording the status of various accounts. Reconcile and report on various ledger accounts as required.
- Prepare balance sheet reconciliations for one or more companies, prepare various schedules which support account balances and month/year-end closing, and prepare various recurring and non-recurring journal entries and accruals as needed.
- Provide assistance with year-end audit preparation and act as a point of contact for auditor requests.
- Assist in the Operating Budget process, Postseason and other various “one time” budgets as needed.
- Use the Ticketing System to run and prepare reports relating game revenue for MLB and Community Relations as needed. This includes bi-weekly reporting to the league as well as MLB Gives Back and Commissioner Initiative Reports
- Various financial reporting including but not limited to:
- Game revenue reports
- Bi-weekly MLB Sales Report
- Flash Report
- Proforma preparation for various aspects of the business (excluding non-baseball events)
- Specific organization initiative budget to actual reporting, including but not limited to NatsFest, Ladies Night, Group Sales, Sponsorship analysis, etc, as requested by the VP of Finance, VP of Accounting and CFO.
- Aid in the implementation of new accounting policies, standards and guidelines.
- Any other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Director, Financial Reporting, VP of Accounting, VP of Finance and the CFO
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting / Finance and a minimum of 3 yrs. accounting experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
- Demonstrated practical knowledge in all areas of job responsibilities
- Solid accounting skills and a strong knowledge of GAAP
- Ability to effectively and professionally communicate with all departments and all levels of personnel within the site and the corporate office
- Handle sensitive information in a confidential manner
- Demonstrated initiative, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Ability to work non-standard hours on occasion
- Proficient skills in computer including experience with MS Office products such as Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. and ability to learn and master new software programs
- Excellent oral communication and customer service problem solving skills
- Strong ability to create and thrive in a team environment
- Must be detail oriented.
- Ability to define problems collects data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Office: Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
All applicants for employment at the Washington Nationals are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to produce proof of vaccination status prior to their first day of employment. Applicants with qualifying disabilities or bona fide religious objections, or who are pregnant, may be exempted from this requirement or otherwise accommodated if they are unable to be vaccinated.