Sr. Associate, Sports Programming - Washington Nationals (WASHINGTON · DC)
Reporting to the Director, Sports Programming, the Senior Associate, Sports Programming is responsible for the implementation of high-quality sports content across in different programmatic contexts, all in support of developing leadership, character and teamwork in Academy scholar-athletes. The Senior Associate will be responsible for planning, implementation and direct oversight of athletic components of all core Academy programs, including most notably (1) the on-field/athletic components of BASE (in both the after school and full-day summer contexts); (2) PLAY, the Academy’s community-based participation program; and (3) HUSTLE, the Academy’s baseball and softball select team program. The Senior Associate role may assume regular evening and/or weekend responsibilities, and these schedules may change based on seasonal programming needs.
The Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy is the signature program of Washington Nationals Philanthropies. The Academy’s purpose is to use baseball and softball as vehicles to foster positive character development, academic achievement, and improved health among underserved youth in Washington, D.C. To achieve its purpose, the Academy implements holistic programs throughout the year at its nine-acre educational and athletic facility in the Fort DuPont neighborhood of Ward 7.
The Nationals are a military-friendly organization actively recruiting veterans and spouses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the implementation of on-field/sports programming in all Academy-related programmatic contexts, including content planning, management of part-time staff members, scheduling, logistics and operations
- Partner with the Manager of Enrollment & M&E to ensure the timely and effective collection of assessment data as identified by the Director of Sports Programming
- Participate in the annual budget process as directed by the Director, in ways including but limited to: inventory assessment, research, and efficient management of resources
- Coordinate with team members (specifically those responsible for academic programming) to ensure smooth execution of BASE programming for the benefit of Scholar Athletes
- Maintain supplies for Baseball/Softball-and other physical activities
- Manage all Summer Academy Coaches and volunteers with respect to on-field programming
- As necessary, attend field-trips and similar Academy events (even those without a specific sports programming component), actively supporting and monitoring Scholar-Athletes to and from the Academy.
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- At least 2 years of relevant baseball/softball coaching experience
- At least 2 years of relevant youth development experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
- Demonstrated youth development experience
- Ability to manage a staff, specifically in the context
- Ability to be prepared and organized for every program day
- Demonstrated experience and emotional commitment to working with youth and families in a low-income, urban community; belief that all children can achieve to high levels when supported
- Commitment to achieving the articulated objectives of the Academy for scholar-athletes
- Demonstrated leadership and motivational skills
- Embody the qualities of a strong role model for staff, volunteers and Scholar Athletes
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Uphold Core Values: Excellence, Performance, and Accountability. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best guest experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits themselves to these core values so that we can constantly move forward in the same direction – together.
- Office: Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Position may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
- Field: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The Senior Associate, Sports Programming will be subject to inside and outside environmental conditions and will be exposed to inclement weather of varying degrees. Job requires the Senior Associate to function in a high activity sports venue. While performing the duties of this job, the Summer Academy Baseball/Softball Coordinator is regularly required to stand for long periods of time, run, jump, and climb up/down stairs.
All applicants for employment at the Washington Nationals are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to produce proof of vaccination status prior to their first day of employment. Applicants with qualifying disabilities or bona fide religious objections, or who are pregnant, may be exempted from this requirement or otherwise accommodated if they are unable to be vaccinated.