The Washington Nationals are seeking a smart, dynamic, and creative Vice President of Corporate Partnerships to help the Nationals secure and renew marketing partnerships that serve as a critical revenue stream for the organization. The Vice President will be expected to create and expand corporate relationships at the C-suite and boardroom level and exhibit the solutions-based approach and high-touch professionalism and demeanor that properly reflect the culture of the organization.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Business Development, the successful candidate will be an experienced manager and sales leader. He or she will infuse energy and creativity into the sales and marketing organization and develop teams who are equally committed to delivering results and achieving success.
A highly respected and recognized brand, the Nationals partner with prominent and visible sponsors both regionally and nationally. The successful candidate will need to understand the “art of the deal” and exhibit a sophisticated, partnership-oriented commercial orientation. Long-term relationship building in a consensus-driven manner will be paramount. The Vice President will also embody the philosophy that the more evident and concrete the ROI, the greater the sustainability and long-term success are for partners. As such, the Vice President will need to understand and convey marketing, advertising, brand, and media analytics from the client’s perspective.
Understanding the Nationals brand and how to elevate it in the eyes of corporate partners will be essential. Further, the Vice President will be possess an ego-less, holistic, stewardship philosophy as a manager and leader within the organization and be a compelling brand ambassador for the entire Nationals organization.
The Nationals are a military-friendly organization actively recruiting veterans and spouses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Vice President, Corporate Partnerships is responsible for creating long term, meaningful, and customized corporate partnerships with leading regional and national brands.
The Vice President will execute all aspects of corporate partnership sales including:
- Build and execute on a strategic plan to grow corporate sponsorship revenue from all avenues by bringing in new partners as well as optimizing existing relationships.
- Be partner-focused and collaborate with current and potential partners to create new and innovative platforms which fit their unique needs.
- Identify potential new streams of sponsorship revenue and strategically develop the relationships and resources necessary for success.
- Bring clarity and insight to a partner’s financial and promotional objectives by leveraging relevant analytics and metrics and utilizing these to demonstrate tangible ROI.
- Create an asset/inventory packaging approach that maximizes aggregate value and creates clear distinctions between various tiers of partner involvement.
- Understand and utilize technology and digital content as an important aspect of the partnership package.
- Deliver best-in-class account management, service, and support for all corporate partners and ensure 100% fulfillment of all contractual obligations.
- Build, develop, and retain a strong team of talented and passionate individuals who are committed to the success of the Nationals.
Superior Sales Focus:
- Execute on an assertive but also “white-glove”, partner-focused strategy that brings in and maximizes partner sponsorship revenue
- Exhibit a solution-based approach that maximizes the value proposition
- Demonstrate the ingenuity and commitment to “getting the deal done”
- Convey a sophisticated understanding of analytics that express and enhance ROI to partners
- Understand the nuances and competitive dynamics of sponsorship sales and leverage the Nationals’ brand differentiation in securing partnerships
- Develop credibility with all current and potential corporate partners as a leader and an ambassador for the Washington Nationals
Creative Brand Management:
- Convey a passion for the Nationals brand, understanding its regional and national significance, and find avenues to elevate it in innovative ways
- Manage brand perception and maintain the Nationals’ precedent of partnering with first class organizations
- Deliver a disciplined, forward-thinking, and strategic approach to sponsorship sales that elevates the Nationals’ distinct brand
Exceptional Relationship Building Skills:
- Nurture and manage strong relationships with high-level executive partners and key stakeholders, while striving to exceed their expectations
- Utilize a high touch, responsive personal style and communicate in an articulate, open, and sincere manner that engenders trust with all constituents
- Demonstrate a willingness to make tough decisions, but always treat people fairly and with respect
- Project an unflappable and even-keeled style characterized by collaboration, openness, approachability, and confidence without arrogance
- Displaying the highest personal integrity and ethics
Leading Teams and Influencing Across the Nationals Organization:
- Drive accountability with the staff and utilize best-in-class management practices to set the Nationals among the industry leaders
- Respect the history, tradition, and culture of the Washington Nationals and ensuring that its best interests are safeguarded.
- Understand the critical success drivers, and, if necessary, work to reposition needed resources to create a more effective and efficient department
- Build, manage, and retain an organized, efficient, and enthusiastic team of exceptional talent as well as create a culture of collaboration, accountability, and commitment to achieving results
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree required MBA strongly preferred.
- 8+ years of related sales experience required. Sports partnership sales experience preferred.
- 3+ years of demonstrated experience leading and managing a sales staff.
- Solutions-based sales experience focused on metrics and ROI.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
- Comfortable working with and presenting to senior executives.
- Customer-focused, team player – ability to lead sales staff.
- Excellent business research and problem solving skills.
- Flexible schedule with ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Proven revenue generator with rolodex of senior brand and agency contacts.
- Effective verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Strong prospecting and leadership skills.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi task.
- Ability to meet challenging sales objectives in a high profile, competitive marketplace.
- Demonstrated ability to develop strategic activation programs.
- Track record of providing exceptional customer-service.
- Computer proficiency with MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Previous formal sales training preferred.
- Office: Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
- Gameday Seasonal: Job requires employee to function in a high activity and heavily crowded outdoor professional sports venue. May work at heights. Employee will be exposed to inclement weather of varying degrees. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for long periods of time, walk long distances, and climb up/down stairs. The employee is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or sit and must lift and/or move up to 45 pounds.