Senior Payroll Specialist - Washington Nationals (WASHINGTON · DC)
The Senior Payroll Specialist will process Bi-Weekly and Semi-Monthly payroll. Processing includes, but is not limited to, the following: collection of payroll data by maintaining the payroll and timekeeping systems (ABI) and enforcing company policies and procedures. Performs the tasks necessary to process payroll for all cycles and all employees on the Nationals payroll including Major and Minor League Players, Hourly Part-Time and Full-Time and Semi-Monthly employees.
The Nationals are a military-friendly organization actively recruiting veterans and spouses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understand and maintain the payroll and timekeeping systems, including UKG Pro and ABI Mastermind. Work with the Vice President, Accounting and outside contractors to update system functionality as needed.
- Input and verify various manual payroll items, i.e. monthly/bi-weekly commissions, car and housing allowances, stipends, bonuses and garnishments, etc. into the automated computer payroll system.
- Work with Baseball Operations to verify Players contracts for salary, deductions, incidentals, meal money, reimbursements and all other pay related items. Manage the taxation for all players, as they must be taxed in all jurisdictions that they play (not only Major League, but all Minor League Movement as well).
- Collect and process all data for Semi-Monthly and Bi-Weekly Payroll (which includes Major and Minor League Player payroll during the season).
- Report deductions from players to all necessary MLB agencies and external agencies. Work closely with Vanguard (players deferred investment plan) as well as the MLBPA to verify deductions when players are brought up to the Majors or when players are sent down to Minor League.
- Interact with various players, their agents and financial advisors as needed.
- Manage the input and verification of all new players for the Major League as well as the 5 Minor League affiliates.
- Edit pre-check payroll reports against source records, traces and corrects any errors. Prepare and coordinate payroll audit files for the Vice President, Accounting and/or Finance and/or CFO for review.
- Oversee the printing of individual paychecks and sorting of mail to the correct locations when the players are traveling.
- Create tax uploads for tickets, taxable meals, hotels and travel, etc. as needed throughout the year.
- Allocate all additional earnings of players across their work locations at the end of the year for taxing purposes.
- Pay Post-Season Shares on an as needed basis, as directed by the team and MLB.
- Calculate SIFL for purposes of taxing Nationals employees related to Post-Season travel.
- Audit all payroll processes for accuracy and validity.
- Transmit tax file to tax processor, prepare and transmit the funding requests and the direct deposit file to Lerner on pay period basis.
- Oversee that the payroll files are in organized in a concise manner for verification and audit purposes by the Train the Accountant, Payroll on all facets of payroll so that there is full adaptability in all duties performed (and redundancy).
- Run all necessary reports as needed for each pay period; run reports monthly and quarterly for Payroll, Finance and HR that include, but are not limited to, payroll registers, GL summaries and Journal entries, employee earning reports, MLB reporting, Workers Compensation, Pension Reporting and Auditor related needs.
- Works closely with UKG on all tax filings, unemployment, etc. Resolve and research variances, file amendments, etc. as necessary.
- Verify that the HR department has accurately keyed in all full-time, part-time, and seasonal new hires in the Payroll and Timekeeping systems.
- Work with the stadium events team, as well as other scheduling departments, to set up events in ABI so that they map correctly to UKG Pro for General Ledger reporting.
- Work closely with HR and Accounting staff to ensure that all company Payroll and Human Resource Policies are maintained and enforced.
- Assist with the annual Payroll budget.
- Work with Financial Accountants to prepare and post payroll journal entries, research direct deposit bounce backs and research bank entries.
- Train staff as needed on payroll and timekeeping systems, processes and procedures; is the “go-to” employee for ABI, and all of UKG Pro (including Employee Single Sign-On). Assist HR when payroll reports are needed from Business Intelligence within UKG Pro (Workers Comp, Discrimination testing, etc.)
- Maintain and verify the NUPP information for Front Office employees.
- Four year college degree preferred and a minimum of 8-10 year’s experience with multi-jurisdictional payroll.
- UKG (Ultimate Payroll) System/Software experience preferred.
- Prior professional sports team experience preferred.
- Effective verbal and written communication and presentation skills; ability to interact with people of all different levels and backgrounds.
- Understands need for data integrity and pays attention to maintaining accurate and timely data, detail oriented with solid organizational skills.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment with fellow employees.
- Ability to manage several complex projects simultaneously while working under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to utilize MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Access. Ability to meet deadlines under pressure and/or frequently deal with difficult issues related to people or situations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
- The ability to influence, negotiate and gain commitment at all organizational levels.
- Ability to define problems, collects and analyzes data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Excellent customer service skills.
- Uphold Core Values: Excellence, Performance, and Accountability. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best guest experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits themselves to these core values so that we can constantly move forward in the same direction – Together.
- Office: Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
All applicants for employment at the Washington Nationals are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to produce proof of vaccination status prior to their first day of employment. Applicants with qualifying disabilities or bona fide religious objections, or who are pregnant, may be exempted from this requirement or otherwise accommodated if they are unable to be vaccinated.