Senior Accountant - Washington Nationals (WASHINGTON · DC)
Washington Nationals jobs
Sports Jobs in WASHINGTON · DC
Accounting and Finance: Accounting/Finance other
*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
The Manager of Accounting manages all of WNBC’s technical and internal audit accounting functions. Reporting to the Director, Financial Reporting, the Manager of Accounting works collaboratively with the Director, Financial Reporting, Vice President of Accounting and Vice President of Finance in evaluating internal audit controls, contract management and revenue recognition. Additionally, the Manager of Accounting will provide high-level accounting support including implementation assistance with new accounting pronouncements and transaction-oriented accounting. The focus of this position will primarily be responsible for all revenue related to tickets, sponsorships, and league, television and radio rights as well as supervision of a direct report performing “day to day” duties for these revenue streams. Lastly, this position is responsible for preparing the monthly sales and use tax payments.
The Manager of Accounting will be responsible for managing accounting transactions and will play an integral part in inbound revenue related transactions. The responsibilities include working directly as a finance partner with revenue generating departments defining revenue recognition framework, analyzing pricing, contract terms and preparing/overseeing all revenue processing and transactions. This role will also interface with the external auditors on any revenue recognition issues as necessary.
This position will be responsible for performing various daily and monthly procedures governing the control over and reconciliation of customer transactions originating from the various administration systems to ensure high standards of financial integrity, compliance, and operational efficiencies in these critical areas such as tickets and eCash. The Manager of Accounting also ensures regular internal audits are performed and reviews to assess the compliance of departments. This position will also ensure processes and records are being reviewed to see that we are in line with the generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and company standards. Results of the reviews are to be shared with managers to aid in feedback, training and development to ensure greater overall compliance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support to activity related to sponsorships mainly overseeing the box office to ensure all tickets related to sponsor deals are correctly accounted for and ticket banks are not overdrawn. This includes season tickets, ticket banks, suites, and vouchers.
- Work with the Premium Sales Team to ensure contracts are being followed and suites are being built correctly in Tickets.com
- Oversee the all game revenue related to tickets is being accounted for properly in the general ledger
- Maintain game revenue workbook
- Review weekly Tickets.com settlements to ensure deferred revenues are recorded properly
- Review all ticket audits following each game during the season
- Prepare / provide and submit all ticket surveys requested by MLB including the upload to the MLB Gate Receipts System
- Internal Audit
- Objectively review and evaluate current internal audit procedures on an ongoing basis related to tickets, retail and other various revenue streams
- Ensure revenue generating departments are in compliance with established practices
- Perform periodic audits to ensure compliance and report findings to upper management
- Research technical accounting issues as needed
- Month end / Year end close:
- Review Revenue Recognition.
- Review and/or prepare balance sheet reconciliations.
- Assist with preparation of consolidating financial statements for all entities.
- Review and/or prepare various schedules for month end closing
- Review and/or prepare various journal entries and accruals as needed.
- Analyze Budget to Actual variances & liaise with outside departments to ensure expenses are properly recorded & within budget.
- Assist outside accounting firm with reconciliations, work papers, etc., as necessary during the interim, year-end and MLB FIQ audit
- Review check register spreadsheet and cash receipts. Make sure all cash receipts are recorded timely and accurately. Report cash balances weekly to the Treasury Department.
- Review, approve, and post bank transactions and journal entries in Great Plains that have been prepared by others within the department.
- Bank reconciliations – review Accountant's bank reconciliations.
- Perform daily analysis of eCash to ensure totals being loaded by fans through credit card processing (Sage) match our record tracking software (Fortress). Reconcile usage of eCash through concessions and retail reconcile to internal reporting, notify appropriate parties when issues arise and work towards resolution.
- Manage and/or prepare the VA, DC, & FL sales and use tax calculations
- Manage and/or prepare all census questionnaires
- Assist in the budget process as needed
- Position will oversee a direct report who will provide support in the activity related to the revenue streams and merchant and software platforms.
- Any other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the VP Finance & Senior Director, Financial Reporting.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and a minimum of 5 years accounting experience
- Baseball experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
- Demonstrated practical knowledge in all areas of job responsibilities
- Solid accounting skills and a strong knowledge of GAAP
- Ability to effectively and professionally communicate with all departments and all levels of personnel within the site and the corporate office
- Demonstrated initiative, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Ability to work non-standard hours on occasion
- Proficient skills in computer including experience with MS Office products such as Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. and ability to learn and master new software programs. MS Dynamics Great Plains experience a plus
- Excellent oral communication and customer service problem solving skills
- Strong ability to create and thrive in a team environment
- Must be detail oriented.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Office: Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
All applicants for employment at the Washington Nationals are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to produce proof of vaccination status prior to their first day of employment. Applicants with qualifying disabilities or bona fide religious objections, or who are pregnant, may be exempted from this requirement or otherwise accommodated if they are unable to be vaccinated.