Network Engineer - Washington Nationals (WASHINGTON · DC)
Washington Nationals jobs
Sports Jobs in WASHINGTON · DC
Technical Services: IT Database Management/Services
*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
Reporting to the Manager, Network Operations; the Network Engineer is primarily responsible for the design, implementation and ongoing upkeep of all network technology systems maintained by the Enterprise IT Department utilizing a mixture of on-prem and cloud technologies spanning various geographic locations and vendor platforms. Daily operations and oversight of all network hardware or associated software systems are the ultimate responsibility of the Network Engineer including installation, maintenance, patching, troubleshooting, etc. Further responsibilities of the Engineer include participating in the technical design and implementation aspects of assigned technology projects, serving as an escalation point for all technical issues and collaborating with team members to develop recommendations for standards and procedures. The Engineer is expected to be intimately familiar with all Enterprise technology systems so they may proactively identify opportunities for improvement that are socialized among the team and ultimately presented to IT Management for consideration.
The Nationals are a military-friendly organization actively recruiting veterans and spouses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receive and document support requests/inquiries made to the IT Department via email, phone or other medium and logging and assigning those requests in a ticket management system.
- Respond to and resolve support requests/inquires in a timely fashion.
- Provide support to end users in a courteous and professional manner.
- Route unresolved request/inquiries following established guidelines.
- Proactively monitor and maintain network hardware and software systems.
- Develop and execute technology projects to completion, discussing challenges and key decision points with senior leadership.
- Participate in the adherence, planning, and analysis of the operational budget.
- Participate in and drive participation of the organization’s change management process.
- Collaborate with the other members of the IT Department to successfully complete Enterprise technology projects on time and within budget.
- Respond to and resolve all support requests/inquiries in a timely fashion utilizing established procedures and escalations.
- Collaborate with internal and external resources as necessary to achieve desired results.
- Develop and maintain documentation including, but not limited to, standard operating procedures, equipment installation methodologies, project plans and environment configurations.
- Become intimately familiar with and adhere to company and departmental operating policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must effectively and efficiently communicate with other members of the IT Department and other business units at all levels of the Organizational Chart to provide support; interact with the user community in a professional, courteous and helpful manner; and interact with outside technology hardware, software and support vendors.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent business or military experience
- Minimum of 4 years hands on experience in an IT support or technical environment
- Minimum of 2 years hands on experience in Network Engineering or related field
- Relevant industry recognized certifications
- Experience working in a decentralized multi-site organization
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions:
- Familiarity with common technology platforms and their applicability to various requirements and environments
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and provide technical support and user training
- Successful experience in working with customers to develop effective solutions to diverse and complex business problems
- Strong knowledge of technology infrastructure implementation and support
- Ability to independently assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem
- Highly motivated with a strong work ethic
- Extraordinary organizational and prioritization skills
- Capable of following instructions and responds well to direction
- Sensitive to deadlines and completes tasks on time
- Ability to utilize good judgement to anticipate needs and complete tasks
- Efficient at multitasking in a fast-paced and demanding environment
- Well suited for participation in multidisciplinary, high-performance work teams
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to read and comprehend technical documents, short correspondence and memos
- Proficient at typing and in the use of computer software programs
- Capable of documenting all duties performed in relevant systems using clear and detailed language
- Uphold Core Values: Excellence, Performance, and Accountability. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best guest experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits themselves to these core values so that we can constantly move forward in the same direction – Together
- Position will primarily require employee to report to the Tower Oaks location in Rockville, MD and the Nationals Park location in Washington, DC; occasionally site visits or offsite meetings at other locations will be required to successfully perform job functions.
- Typical Environment: Office: Working conditions are normal for an office environment.
- Occasional: Maintenance: Subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme heat, extreme cold, noise, hazards and atmospheric conditions (fumes, odors, dust, mists, gases or poor ventilation). Working at heights on ladders, lifts, scaffolding or similar may be required.
- Work will require occasional weekend and/or evening work, including on-call and onsite Day of Game support which are rotated with other members of the Information Technology department on a pre-established schedule.
- All members of the IT Department are considered “Critical Personnel” and have responsibilities during weather and other emergencies.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
All applicants for employment at the Washington Nationals are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to produce proof of vaccination status prior to their first day of employment. Applicants with qualifying disabilities or bona fide religious objections, or who are pregnant, may be exempted from this requirement or otherwise accommodated if they are unable to be vaccinated.