Intern, Facilities Management (Youth Baseball Academy) with Washington Nationals in WASHINGTON · DC
The Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy is a non-profit organization with the mission of using baseball and softball as vehicles to foster positive character development, academic achievement and improved health among Washington, D.C. youth living in underserved communities. The Academy operates on 9 acres, equipped with 3 baseball/softball diamonds, a community garden, and an indoor facility containing a concession stand, classrooms, a full teaching kitchen, office space, and an indoor training room. The Academy is looking for a hard-working and team-oriented individual to gain experience in the management and maintenance of these facilities for the summer season.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Cleanup of Facility Grounds to include removal of debris.
- Turf maintenance to include: mound repair, turf maintenance and repair, irrigation and tarping.
- Event set up and change-over.
- Assist with Deep Cleaning/Facility Upkeep.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student of an accredited college or university and have completed a minimum of 1 semester or have graduated from an accredited college or university within the last 6 months.
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Successfully pass a Background Investigation.
- Available for the entire term of the Internship.
- Community service hours can be requested.
- Preferred: Candidates enrolled in a turf or facilities/construction management undergraduate or graduate program, or be a recent graduate of a related program.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
- Preferred: Candidates with an interest in sports facilities maintenance.
- Required: Enthusiasm and desire to learn.
- Required: Ability to lift and move equipment.
- Required: Flexible schedule with the willingness to work long hours when needed including nights and weekends
- Required: Uphold Core Values: Excellence, Performance, and Accountability. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best guest experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits themselves to these core values so that we can constantly move forward in the same direction – Together.
- Grounds: Groundskeeping employees perform most of their work outdoors in all kinds of weather. The job is not considered dangerous; however, insecticides can be harmful if not handled with caution, and groundskeeping employees working with tools and machines, can be injured if they use them carelessly.
- Maintenance: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Worker will be subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme heat, extreme cold, noise, hazards and atmospheric conditions (fumes, odor, dust, mists, gases or poor ventilation).
How did you hear about this job?
When are you able to begin working?